Chapter 9 | Sunday Morning

It's a rainy Sunday. Your phone rings while you're enjoying your breakfast which is a bowl of cereal with no milk because you're running out of groceries. You turn the television off when you answer it. "I told you, Vince. I'm not in the mood on going out. I need more time alone." Your tone is much more irritated than usual.

"I know, I know. Please, open the door and let me talk to you in person." Vince exhales in exasperation and he knocks on your door again. "I promise that I won't drag you out again. You've been isolating yourself for weeks, this isn't healthy. " His voice is filled with concern but with a slight annoyance. 

You take a spoonful of the cereal before flying it into your mouth. "No, I don't care"—you bite down to chew briefly— "just leave me alone." speaking while the sound of breaking cereals in your mouth makes the crunch more audible on the other line. "I'll go out when I feel like it." Then you end the call and pick Covyn from the ground, putting her next to you. 

He's not wrong, it's been days since you went out. He even has to trick you just for you to go out on new year's Eve because you refuse to go to his party. It's already the beginning of a new year yet it started horribly. However, you finally cut off ties with Wilhemina after learning what she did. 

While you're munching on your cereals and getting lost in your thinking, the door makes a noise as someone knocks on it. You groan out of annoyance so you put the empty bowl on the coffee table before you go in front of your door with your dog trailing behind you. "For the last time, I told you that I don't want to see any—"

"Not even me?" That voice eases your vexation as it cuts you before you even finish your sentence. "How have you been, (y/n)?" she greets, "I've heard that you and Wilhemina broke up. I'm sorry about that." Lana sympathetically speaks from the other side. It's been a while since you've seen Lana, you weren't even able to thank her after telling or answering those questions that complete the key to figuring Wilhemina out. 

Your back meets the wooden door as you make a decision about whether it's a good idea to see her or not. "I know you wanted to be alone, Vince told me. I just want to try my luck to check up on you, I hope you're doing well." she continues to chat through the closed door as you're on the opposite side, just listening to her as she talks. 

"I made mac and cheese, your favorite. I'll just leave it here, I hope you'll like it. Goodbye, (y/n), see you soon." 

As Lana bids her goodbye, you quickly withdraw from the door and grab the knob before pulling it open. She quickly turns around while her perfect lips stretch into a sweet smile, then your eyes met. "You really couldn't say no to mac and cheese." the brunette jokes and made you laugh for the first time in a while. 

I guess hanging out with her wouldn't hurt?

***

You put your phone against your ear as you call your cousin. After a few more rings, "What a surprise for you to make a call. Are you ready?" Vince scornfully speaks as you're brushing your hair dry. 

Your eyebrows are pulled together in curiosity, "Huh? Ready for what?" —you look at the calendar on your wall and you gasp in surprise— "What? Today's the reunion?" you open your cabinet to search for something decent to wear. 

"I'll pick you up in twenty." he sighs in disappointment, he knows that you're always sluggish whenever you're preparing to go out. The call ended and you grab the beige trench coat then you wear it over your white button-down shirt and black trousers. 

You dial your phone while you're preparing your handbag. "Hey, Lana. I'm sorry but I have to cancel our lunch later, I forgot that today's my family reunion." you put your phone between your cheek and shoulder as you close your bedroom door. 

It took her some seconds before she speaks. "That's not a problem, have fun at your reunion." a hint of chuckles comes out from the other end of the line. "Besides, we've been hanging out every day since last week. So, it's best for you to go see your family too." 

Your lips gently smile and you hold your phone in your hand. "Alright, gotta go. I'll make it up to you next time." You end the call and put your phone inside your bag. Vince texted you that he's already at the parking lot. 

You proceed to the lot after locking the door. The engine of his car is still running and he's waiting for you inside so you enter the vehicle. "Why do you live in this hotel when you could just live with me? Plus, hotels are very expensive." Vince starts talking once you close the door.

The car revs and he starts to drive afterward. "Well, that's why I called you a while ago. I'm moving out and moving in somewhere but I need money, I'm running out of cash." you feebly smile and hope that your cousin will lend you some money.

A sigh of disbelief comes out of his mouth. "What would you do without me, idiot." his eyes are focused on the road while he speaks. "Let's discuss this later because I heard that you're going out with Lana again." 

On your way to the reunion, you told your cousin about what was happening between you and Lana and why you needed to borrow some money from him. You told him that you've been hanging out with her again for the last few days and he seems okay with it since he wants you to be happy. 

"We're here." 

Vince takes a turn to the right to enter private property, a mansion that's huge as your best friend's. Your eyes sparkle in amusement and your mouth is agape like a child eyeing a new toy. "This is owned by our family?" you hastily turn your head to your cousin as you can't believe what's happening.

He stops the car in front of the house. "Yup, this is owned by Nana," —the two of you get out and he hands the keys to the ballet— "Oh, right. Only Mom knows you're coming." A heads up for you that isn't so helpful because you don't even know your aunt or any of your family.

Fuck.

When you enter the mansion, there's a split staircase in the foyer which looks very fancy. You take off your trench coat and put it over your forearm while Vince drags you to the garden where a lot of your family members are there. Everyone eyes the two of you and it looks like they stop what they are all doing. 

"Vincenzo." A slightly high-pitched voice calls for your cousin, a woman with deep blonde hair walks towards both of you and she welcomes you and Vince with a cheek-to-cheek kiss. "You must be (y/n)?" she gasps and scans your facial features. 

It looks like she's your aunt. Her wide and enthusiastic smile makes you beam as well. "Is she your girlfriend?" Another woman, but this time younger, comes your way. She looks a little bit older than you and sassier too.

Vince scoffs and winces, "No, Veronica. She's our cousin," he pushes you a little to move you closer to the lady, "(y/n), this is my very annoying sister, Veronica." 

As the word gets around, you've been introduced to the rest of your family. Some of them are sweet and some of them are like your typical rich people, they have attitudes. However, Aunt Evelynn, Vince's mom, is a nice person. You've learned that she's your mother's older sister. You also met your Nana, she said that you look exactly like your mother when she was your age. 

You're in your mom's old room and it's very spacious. Your aunt takes you there to give you space from the other relatives who ask too many questions like where's your father? Why did you show up after all these years? And many more that it's too overwhelming to answer. 

"You know, your mom and I are very close when we were little. We never keep secrets from one another and we both dream big. She dreamt to be a celebrity and I dreamt to be a model. Yet, fate has different plans for us. Your Nana didn't allow us to, she wants us to take care of the family business." 

You pick up a picture frame by the bedside table, it's the picture of your mom when she was young. "What was Mom like?" your fingertips touch the glass and it made you smile.

Your aunt sits on the chair by the study table. "Oh, you're mom is a balanced person. She's sweet, smart, and kind of a rebel." It made her chuckle softly as she talks about her sister. "However, she's not smart enough to avoid your father."