The Start Of A Feeling

Tubbo streched his arms as he stood above, where archers had stood. He rolled his shoulders until he felt a release, that of a deaths hold or a lifes breath. Dream was not there beside him, not carving spears or laying in the damp grass, he was with them.

Steps stamped sounds into the earth, he turned to them.

"Are you alright?" Tubbo asked his brother as he stepped toward him.
He placed his palm on his own neck, lifting his shoulders in a short 'I'm not sure.'

"I don't expect you to be." He said.
Velvet looked to him, observing his undeniable boyish features. What a shame he wasted his boyhood on sadness. He thought. He is far too much like me.

"No matter what happens today," The older began, his head straightening to him.
"We'll both be okay."

He knew he was making a promise he could not assure.
The familiarity of it all was felt in both of them, a promise of happiness, a looming storm.

Tubbo had buried any shame he had a bit ago, death has no space for shame.

He opened his arms, smiling slightly. "Bring it in, Velvet."

He moved toward him, wrapping arms above his shoulders and bringing him in. "After the war, can i spar with you?" Tubbo mumbled into his shoulder. "Never."

"Damnit." He replied.

They both felt eachother giggle.
To Velvet, it felt as if he were a boy, walking in summer stillness, holding his mothers hand. He thought he could never replace the feeling, but it never felt more clear.

___

The thud of arrows against targets and feet stamping the earth was heard, almost music to the soldiers.

This is for my sister, Niki pulled back the string of the bow, drawing in a breath of ash and dust.
This is for George.
soldiers gathered Infront of her, shielding her with their armoured bodies.
This is for Puffy.

An arrow pierced the dirt, it had begun.

Arrows came fast as rain as she ran toward the opposing soldiers, dropping her bow behind her and clenching the handle of her sword. Where is he?

She slashed through flesh and blood that stood Infront of her, quickly progressing towards the tents. It was easy, too easy.

She realized her flaw, the bridge.

"Greetings." Velvet said from across the gap in the earth, his brother stern beside him.
She shifted herself, gathering her hair from her shoulders and frowning. "How much for me and my men to cross?" She asked quickly.

"You could try ending the war, we accept that instead of gold." Tubbo chimed in, earning a quick elbow from his brother.
"Give me your Prince, and I shall let all of you cross."

Ant was standing behind every soldier, but still could hear the command. He looked to Dream, who nodded as if he had whispered the command in his ear beforehand.

"Ant, go." She demanded.
The whispers of men grew louder, it seemed like she signed his very own contract of death. They quieted when they remembered the day the bridge fell, he would not be the one to kill him.

Ant fought his way across the water, making sure to keep his head above it. He commanded soldiers to assist him, of which they did.

Now, Ant stood beside Velvet.

"I will leave now, cross as you will."
He tugged on the back of Ant's tunic where the men could not see, and they went back to their tents hurriedly. "Stay here." Velvet commanded him, pushing him gently into his tent and shutting the hatch.
"Have you gone mad? This is a war, I'm in it."