35; Summer tide

"From the beginning of our days to the end of our time"

🌿

⚠️ blood, dead bodies, weapons, war, death, murder, violence, near death experiences, dangerous activities (do not attempt?!), mentions of death and murder ⚠️

The wind swishes under her left foot.

Irene takes a sharp intake of air. Could she really do this? The long way down makes her dizzy, head rolling from side to side. She has a death grip on the corner between the balcony railing and the temple wall, one foot on the balcony railing and one hanging right outside of it, deciding weather or not she is going to be stupid enough to actually do this.

Irene gulps. She looks down and concludes that falling would probably mean death. Ariadne would blame herself for that death, since she's the one who locked Irene in their bedroom. But on the same time it would all be Irene's fault. She's the one who is deciding to do this. She feels her hands shake. It would not be fun to die here today, a suicide like death. Maybe she should just stay home?

The thought of her brother out there, all alone, in some stupid dungeon...

No, she has to do this.

She is holding tightly onto a colorful rope, made from twenty three pieces of Thea's clothing. She's going to have to apologize for that later. Or not. Maybe she will be too angry with them to say anything, they deserve it for locking her away, they drove her to do this. Irene huffs. And she won't die here, of course she won't. It just doesn't make sense. She was brought here for a reason, to this island for a reason, and she won't die just because of a bad decision.

So with rage in mind, Irene takes the first step. There is a small part of the wall sticking out of the rest, one that she can walk on. But it's risky. She can only take one step, and hope that she doesn't wobble towards the ground. That would mean death, as previously mentioned, so that's not an option. No, she needs to place her left foot on the small part sticking out from the wall, then stretch her right foot to the balcony next to the one she is standing on right now. The super easy, extremely scary plan that she came up with within a span of ten minutes while tying together the clothes.

Irene holds her breath. With a harsh grip around the corner of the wall and her balcony, she stretches her left foot and places it against the wall. Her right foot is still on the balcony railing. Underneath her is nothing but air. Irene breathes out. Steady. Then, she lets go of her right foot, jumping through the air with support from her left foot, letting go of the corner and turning her body around. If she doesn't make the jump, she dies. God, how many times has she told herself that already?

Irene screams. She just can't help it. She floats through the air for just a fraction of a second. The jump is just enough.

She lands with her right foot directly on the other balcony railing. To avoid falling backwards she immediately flings herself forwards and onto the balcony itself, even if she falls down harshly onto the marble floor. Irene feels great relief in her body once she realizes that she has made the jump, and is laying safely on the floor. The pain from the fall spreads through her body little by little. Then it disappears, only some of it staying to ache in her bones.

Irene breathes out. Then she laughs. God that was the riskiest thing she has done since that time she went out on the open sea, all the way through a storm to save her brother. She can feel the adrenaline start to die down, but her pulse is still loud in her ears. Irene gets up from the floor with a groan, hand gripping tightly to the rope that she has. It's a dark room that she comes to, Thea's office. Irene navigates through the office, double checking her pockets to make sure that nothing fell out during her jump. She feels the same pocket knife as before. Irene doesn't know how to use a sword, but if she is forced to use one she could probably steal one from someone else instead.