20; Tall and short

"The threat grows stronger every day"

🌿

Harsh waves crash against the edges of the ship.

Although it was once painted in blue, the salty water has drained all color to rust and metal. Like a lifeless skeleton, the ship continues to messily glide over the sea. Not too high above, the storm clouds spew out ran and thunder, electrifying the water and hitting the deck like tiny bullets. The wind is strong, throwing everything and everyone on board from the left to the right. The windows of the ship crash, glass falling everywhere until it ultimately disappears into the cold and dark waters of the Mediterranean. No matter how much they try, not a single fish lays in their nets. Only cold and gray water for miles and miles.

The people on board, they wail, because for five days they have not seen land nor fish or clear sky. A burning headache spreads from one sailor to the other, as the low pressure builds up after days without a blue sky. The sun hasn't been seen, and so, they fall victim to the pale and sick disease from the lack of vitamin D. Inside the captains cabin lays a single, old map, that has been used for decades by his father, and his father before that. The handwriting is terrible, but without any kind of signal on the boat, the captain is forced to use the map to navigate. Nothing on it makes sense, it's a century old.

Without the stars they can't see where they are, or where they are going. The Mediterranean isn't a big sea, but for weeks they have been lost, and for days this storm has been plaguing the waters. When they wake up in the morning, it's dark and cold and stormy, when they go to sleep, the weather is the same. There's no room to be seasick or cry because of their hunger, for every sailor on deck must work hard to keep the boat going. The high waves threaten to sink the ship to the bottom of the ocean, and once they loose control, it's over for them all. Nobody here is ready to die, they have people at home waiting for them to prevail. Waiting for them to return with fish and money after weeks of being gone, because if they don't, the people at home starve.

The captain is torn. He needs to save his crews lives, so that he can save the lives of everyone in their home village. But when sailing through this endless storm, through these endless waters that should've lead somewhere by now, he doesn't know what to do. There's no land, there's no light, and the sea has never been so terrifying as it is now. They have no food left, and no fish in their nets.

And then, like given by the Gods, an island appears in the storm. Although the map is rather useless, this island is not on it. It's ghost like, completely alone on a strong, stormy sea, in a bubble like shape. Two high mountain peaks hold up the land from the sea, and the edges are covered in sand, much like the tropical islands down south. The vegetation is dry, just like at home, with trees that can withstand the dead soil and warm sun. The sky is suddenly clear and not stormy or dark, as it seems like the island is protected by the harsh lightning and rain.

That's where they stop, on that island. Their boat is anchored by the shore and they swim inland. The warm sand feels soothing, almost burning underneath their feet. The wind is calm and dry, rather than harsh cold and wet like before. Everything feels so much better. They walk further inland, taking a look at everything the island has to offer. Green plants and vegetation, although dry, offers berries and fruits. They gather as much as they can and eat until they can't feel their hunger anymore. The previous misery of having no food, no water and no rest is forgotten. Some of the sailors lay down on the sand, while others explore the edges of the forest. Up in the sky, the sun shines down upon them like a warm smile. It feels good against their sickly pale skin and dark eye bags.