Chapter 22: A Marriage Proposal

" Y/n. I have a letter for you. "

You turned around in the hallway, and Quintin walked towards you with a letter in his hand.

   " Oh, thank you. "

Quintin handed you the letter and walked away. The letter was addressed to you and Genevive. There was no name on the outside of the letter, but the letter said it was from the Prosan Empire. You opened the letter and started reading.

Dear Y/n and Genevive,

It has been a while since I've contacted you both. I hope you forgive me, but we have had a troubling time here in the Prosan Empire. There have been multiple attacks, and with the crown's name under threat, I was warned not to have any contact with the outside world. I can send you this message now because the conflict has been resolved.

I want to invite you two to the palace to spend a few days here with me. I miss you guys, and I want your company. Nikoli and I have been doing well, and we have talked to his father, the king, about our relationship, and he approves. So, I will stay over here permanently and not return to Madrathia. Nikoli has talked about a wedding, but I'm not sure about going that far yet. I love him, but I want to wait a few more months before marrying; I'm glad he understands.

So, anyway, I want to invite you both to come with me to Prosan. I hope you can come. I will send a carriage for you two in two days, and if you do not wish to come, tell the man leading the coach. But you guys better come! I miss you guys! I need you guys to visit me! And if you don't, I will come down and bring you here myself!

I love you guys and hope you can make it.

Sincerely, Elina

You smiled at the letter, feeling happy that Elina had sent you a letter. Thought you knew Genevive would not be able to go, you wanted to go and visit Elina. Ever since Elina went to the Prosan Empire, you had been lonely. 

   ' I don't want to ask the king, but I have to in order to go. Maybe I can talk to Quinn instead. '

You sighed and started walking to the library where you knew Quinn would be. You pushed the doors open and walked inside the library. Quinn was sitting on one of the couches in the library, reading a book while writing some things down on one of the many papers in front of him on the coffee table. Quinn looked up at you when the doors opened, and he smiled.

   " Hello, dear. Come and sit. "

You nodded and walked towards Quinn. You sat beside him, and he sat the book he was reading on the table. Then, he turned towards you and leaned against the couch.

   " How is you day so far? "

   " It's okay. Nothing much has happened today. I did receive a letter I want to talk to you about. "

   " Okay. Ah! I also just remembered something I need to mention to you, before you continue. I'm going to forget if I don't tell you now. "

You nodded, waiting to hear Quinn's words. Instead, Quinn took a deep breath before continuing. You knew the topic was stressing him out because his eyes wouldn't look at yours, and he hung his head.

   " My father has invited princesses from different kingdoms to come to Madrathis next week. My father wants me to find a wife before I ascend the throne, and he has invited these women to come here, and I pick between them. But I wanted to inform you, that I do not intend on choosing any of them. I intend to keep our relationship prominent, and I do not plan on romantically involving myself with them. "

   " Ah. . .I see. . ."

You felt self-conscious and a little sad about the thought of Quinn marrying someone else. You were jealous but also upset. You were not a princess, you had no royal blood, and yet, Quinn chose to pick you among the other women who would benefit him more.