Chapter 16 ~City of Los Angeles

Kendrick's POV
Here I am , finally made it to LA. The moment I reached LA it hit me how different this is from Compton. Got to my hotel and started unpacking. Crazy what God can do , just the other day I was robbing houses with Demetrius and his gang now I'm in LA . A five star hotel . I'll make sure to not take advantage of the opportunity. I soon heard a knock on my door room. "Ayo Dot , I'd like to introduce you to Top Dawg entertainment" Top said as he entered my room. "Sure thing man" I replied. I went down stairs and he introduced me to School boy Q , Jay Rock , Ab- soul , Dave free and Ali .
Top : this gon be like brother hood for y'all, I want yall to be one big family. We all from the same place and circumstances alright.

Living in LA was like a dream come true to me , I wouldn't do anything to mess it up.

Ali :So what we finna do Dot?

Ali and Dave free were gonna produce, mix and master for me. Pretty cool that top Dawg provides producers and resources for their artist.

Dave : any ideas for an album

Kendrick : shiii , I gotta really sit down and think about it

Ali: no rush

As time grew , I grew to know Top Dawg. It really was a brother hood. we would always try and compete eachother in terms of music. Who gets their album done first , who has the best sales first week , who has the best sounding album. Jay Rock being sorta like an older brother, we could talk about anything and we'd have the same views on everything. Schoolboy Q is always fun to be around. Spend a day with him and your stomach finna be turning due to laughter. Ab-soul is that dude you smoke and get high with. Me and Dave free actually go back. He used to live in my hood in Compton. He used to hang with me and Alex till he had to move. Ali is chill. He's laidback but knows when it's time to work.
Ali : any concept for an album
Kendrick: yeah, been writing alot of material too
Ali : so what we gon do
Kendrick: an album bout a good kid from Compton.
Ali : ight bet , I feel you

We began working on the album. I decided on the name good kid maad city. The Maad being for my angels on Angel dust . I got an opportunity in LA away from the crime , away from Compton. And I'm gonna take this opportunity with both hands. I pushed myself to make one of the best albums the world has heard. With great producers, sharp story writing and TD to support my ideas , this album was gon be a masterpiece. Top : So Kendrick, when we gon drop this album
Kendrick: shiii ...
Top : is October any good for ya
Kendrick: yeah
Top : ight bet

We later decided to drop Good kid maad city on October 22nd . I didn't expect the album to do so well. Going number two on billboards 200. That is when I knew , I was a superstar.