Chapter 12: 𝑷𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑷𝒂𝒚𝒂𝒔𝒐

Song Recommendation: Dame Un Beso - Selena 

   "Ugh, where are we going?" I asked, trudging up the hill behind Camilo. As we continued walking, my legs began to burn. I was going to complain, but I didn't feel like hearing Camilo tease me.

When we reached the top, he stopped and turned to face me with a weird smile on his face.

   "What's going on?" I asked uneasily. Camilo pushed open a large bush, waiting for me to climb through.

   "Come on, Imena." he said. I looked through the opening, and I saw a small boat.

Why is there a boat at the top of a hill?

   I climbed through and Camilo followed shortly after. I walked up to the boat and looked past it.

Oh no.

   "Um, you want to go down the hill in this boat?" I asked, raising my brows and pointing. Camilo smiled and nodded, walking closer to the boat.

   "Yep! Don't worry, we'll land right in the river below." he said, pointing further. I looked down again.

   "...no." I said, crossing my arms. Camilo frowned.

   "You scared?" he asked. I tilted my head.

   "No, I just have common sense." I answered, putting a hand on my hip and tilting my neck. Camilo scoffed, mockingly imitating my posture.

   "Ay, Imena. Just have a little fun. I've done this plenty of times." he said.

   "How many times have you fallen out?" I asked. Camilo counted on his fingers.

   "Like, three times. BUT-"

   "See, that's the difference between you and I, payaso." I said.

   "No, no, patito. That was only in the beginning. Since then, I've gotten way better. Even mi padre approves. He helped me perfect it." Camilo assured me. I raised a brow.

   "Your dad taught you how to do it safely?" I asked. Camilo nodded.
   That did make me feel a little better. 

   "Besides, I mean, we did something you like to do. Why can't we just do this?" Camilo asked. I pouted and looked up at the sky. 

   "If I go down with you, you have to let me punch you twice."

Camilo's face fell.

   "W-why?" he stuttered. I hummed.

   "Once for stealing my necklace, and again for pulling this. You can't try to block it at all." I said. Camilo rubbed the back of his neck.

   "Ah...sure." he said. 

Ugh. Why won't you say no? Maybe I should add a third punch...

   I sighed and climbed into the boat carefully, gripping the sides tightly.

At least, I thought I wasn't scared.

   Camilo grabbed onto the back and slowly began to push it towards the edge of the hill.
I turned to look at him.

   "Relax, patito. I'll jump in when I push it off." he said. I turned back around and swallowed. The lake below us seemed to be getting farther and farther down.

   "Camilo, hurry up before I change my mind." I said. My heart was beating fast. I felt like I was beginning to hyperventilate.

   "The suspense is the best part. You ready? I'm going to countdown to one." Camilo said. I nodded.