viii. distractions, attractions

❛𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦, 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘦,

𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶❜❜

he has a lady friend now

Those words seemed to run through her mind in circles.

He's had his eye on her for quite a while

That one kind of hurt. She didn't know what she was expecting, she knew this was coming anyways. Her overthinking might hurt, but they've always been right. There was nothing she could do.

She was so charmed by him, maybe that was why it hurt so much. The fact that only knowing him for a few hours could affect her this much. She eyed her notebook which laid open on her desk. She closed her eyes and sighed.

Grabbing the notebook, she continued writing in the unfinished page of her new song.

please don't be in love with someone else

please don't have somebody waiting on you

Guess her song was finished, and so was the chapter.

・゜゜・..・゜゜・

James had noticed a lot of things these past few weeks. Number one was the fact that Sirius had been writing a lot to Gracie. Number two was the fact that she had been writing just as much, and had been sending him things. Number three, she hadn't respond to the last letter he sent, which was over two weeks ago.

Number four was the fact that Sirius seemed to know a whole lot about Gracie. And the last one was the fact that she had been the topic conversation between the three other marauders for quite some time.

"Has Gracie said anything about my question?" Peter asked Sirius eagerly, who was reading at the most recent letter during breakfast.

"She sent you the brownies recipe, Peter, here." Sirius handed a small piece of paper towards the boy. "Yes!" Peter cheered, "tell her I said thank you for these."

"What about mine?" Remus questioned, peaking over Sirius' shoulder to read the letter.

"Here." Sirius gave the boy a rather large parcel, which also looked to be quite heavy.

Remus smiled happily while opening the parcel, inside were a couple of books and chocolates she had sent him to enjoy. He then gasped when something caught his eye, "I've been meaning to get this for months! It's always been out of stock, how'd she get these?" Remus murmured the last part.

Lily, who was curious about what all the commotion was about, looked over and saw the book on Remus' hand, she instinctively gasped when she read the title.

"Is that The Godfather? How'd you get them? I've been looking everywhere for them for so long!" Lily exclaimed.

"A friend sent it, I don't even know how she got this!" Remus laughed. "You can read this once I'm done with it, Lily."

"Thank you!" Lily beamed.

"And lastly, mine." Sirius grinned, opening the parcel, squealing at the sight.

"She actually got them!" Sirius cheered joyfully.

"What are you on about Pads?" James, who had been in a bad mood for the past few weeks felt his mood dampen even more when he saw what Gracie sent him.

"She got me the latest vinyl form the Beatles, and that's not the best part." He grinned excitedly, pulling out the vinyl, showing them to the people crowding him. "It's signed by all 4 of them!"

The Beatles were famous everywhere, it wasn't surprising that 3/4 population of Hogwarts knew who they were.

There were gasps and jealous murmurs at the revelation.

"You've been getting awfully close to Gracie." James bitterly said.

"Nothing bonds two people like music and cigarettes." Sirius hummed in reply, which sent James' head to snap over to him.

"She smokes?!"

"Mhm, much to learn about her, mate." Remus patted him on the back.

・゜゜・..・゜゜・

James had never felt more miserable than he had these past two weeks. His best mates all had received gifts from Gracie, yet he didn't even receive a reply. He couldn't blame her, really. He did ignore her for quite some time, which he now regretted,

Being with Lily wasn't as exciting as he thought it would be. All she did was her head duties, homework, and study. He had found out he had nothing in common with her, and that he hadn't felt the sparks or butterflies when talking to her.

Yet, thinking about the green-eyed brunette sent him spiraling. He constantly daydreamed of seeing her again, getting to dance with her again, Merlin, even just talking with her again. But he had lost his chance.

She's probably falling for Sirius right now, he thought bitterly.

He couldn't blame her, Sirius was in fact charming, and he had his way with words. Whereas James stumbled on his own words.

Every time his best friend received a letter from the girl he was interested in, he felt the unpleasant feeling of jealousy overcome him. His friends noticed, Lily noticed of course.

She had in fact regretted saying yes to James. It was true he had matured and changed, but there was nothing that could bring them together. They were polar opposites, they had nothing in common, and Lily had found out she was more into girls anyways.

The jealousy was very much visible on his face, his actions. He seemed to have somewhat closed off from his friends.

"Mate, come on, stop moping around." Sirius groaned loudly, pulling the covers from him.

"Piss off, Sirius." James grumbled.

"You need to stop acting like a jealous prick, Prongs." Remus sighed, the full moon was coming and his mood had dropped all thanks to James.

It was almost Christmas, they were all going home, but they were spending Christmas at the Potter's

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not in love with her." Sirius yelled, throwing a pillow at the moping boy.

"Sure act like you do." James gritted his teeth.

"If you hadn't been such a cunt, maybe you would've swept her off her feet by now."

"Stop telling me I made a mistake, alright? I know!"