v. letters and lyrics

❛𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘐'𝘮 𝘱𝘢𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩

𝘞𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘰𝘰𝘳❜

Days flew by, and it was finally the first of September. James had been thinking all week,

How was he supposed to send her a letter? it's not like an owl could just drop a letter to her house, she was a muggle for Merlin's sake!

Then, Sirius gave him an answer.

"Mate, I don't even know why you're thinking too hard." Sirius sighed, "You could just mail them to your parents and ask them to help you out, bring the mail to the post office or something." Sirius grumbled.

He had been annoyed at the boy's moping the whole week. James had been stuck on figuring out how to mail letters to Gracie, and another matter was he was trying to figure out his situation with Lily and Gracie.

After much thought, James decided to give it one more chance, much to Sirius' dismay. But he couldn't help it, he's been chasing this girl for five years. That would be wasting time. So he decided to try once more, if she's still headstrong about it, then he'll move on.

Sitting on their usual train compartment, James looked out the window, lost in thought.

"What's with him?" Peter eyed James strangely. "He's been awfully quiet."

The other two boys turned towards their best friend. Sirius, being the only person who knew of his situation, rolled his eyes. "He's having an existential crisis."

"'Bout what?" Remus questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"He met a girl when we were visiting the States." this received two surprised reactions. "And now he's confused whether he should move on from Lily or not."

"She must be one hell of a girl if she could make Prongs even think about that." Remus chimed,

"Oh, she is, trust me." Sirius nodded in agreement, "She's really really pretty. Way out of his league." Sirius pointed his thumb towards James.

"You know, I can hear you." James grumbled in annoyance. "You can stop talking about me like I'm not here."

"Let me think about it." Sirius pretended to think over, before he offered a smirk, "No."

"Piss off, Pads." James groaned, "I'm really interested in her, but I've been chasing Lily for five years now, it's not like I can just throw that all away!"

"You're not even making any progress with Lily." Peter furrowed his eyebrows, looking at James in confusion.

"Peter's right." Remus nodded along.

"I told him he should move on, but no." Sirius complained.

"I need to sort myself out." James rubbed his temples.

Remus glanced at his watch and said, "Well you should do that really soon because a. we have to be in the prefect's compartment in five minutes, and b. you're gonna have to share dorms with her."

He completely forgot that the heads had to live in the same dorm. "Fuck!"

A month ago, if anyone told him this would be happening, he would have laughed in their face, but now?

.・゜゜・・゜゜・.

Gracie,

How are you doing? I'm going back to school tomorrow, you remember the boarding school I told you about? Well, they made me the Head Boy, which is very surprising to say the least. I've been nothing but a trouble maker for the past seven years, I think the professors did this to me as a form of revenge.

Anyways, what are you up to? I̷'̷v̷e̷ ̷b̷e̷e̷n̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷n̷k̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷a̷b̷o̷u̷t̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷ ̷a̷ ̷l̷o̷t̷ ̷r̷e̷c̷e̷n̷t̷l̷y̷,̷ ̷I̷ ̷w̷o̷u̷l̷d̷ ̷r̷e̷a̷l̷l̷y̷ ̷l̷i̷k̷e̷ ̷t̷o̷ ̷m̷e̷e̷t̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷ ̷a̷g̷a̷i̷n̷ I've been busy with packing and planning pranks. Reply to me soon? I'll write to you again once I'm in school.

Sincerely,

J. Potter

It was a short letter, there was a crossed out sentence she couldn't make out, she was a bit disappointed about what he had wrote to her. She thought there would be more. This made her overthink more and more, did he have a someone in school?

James,

I'm doing well. I'm glad to hear from you. Can't wait for you to tell me all about your pranks. I doubt your teachers would do that as a form of punishment or revenge. Maybe they really have faith that you'll be a good Head Boy. What was the sentence you crossed out on your last letter? It made me really curious.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your last year in school. Don't get in too much trouble.

Sincerely,

G. Jones

.・゜゜・・゜゜・.

The letters they sent each other were brief and somewhat awkward. This made the two overthink. James wondered if it was a good idea to pursue someone so faraway from him, he started to think maybe it was better for him to continue to chase after Lily?

The past few weeks had been surprising for him, Lily treated him like a decent human being for the first time in ever. This brought up some confidence in him that there still might be a chance for him to finally strike a date with Lily.

He hadn't asked her out for the few weeks they had attended Hogwarts, which surprised everyone. Usually, James would shower Lily public display of affections and attention every single day.

This too, made Lily wonder what had happened to the boy. Had he finally matured?

Sirius was annoyed at his best friend. Though James hadn't made any move to ask out Lily, he read the letters his best friend and Gracie exchanged. Sirius could tell James wasn't really putting any effort in his letters, he was too preoccupied with his thoughts, his head boy duties, quidditch, and his pranks.

Sirius wanted what was best for him, and he knew it wasn't Lily, Though he hadn't personally gotten to know Gracie, he believed she would be good for him. So he decided to take matter to his own hands. He was going to write to Gracie and find out more about her, and perhaps give her a little push.