Crushing Covan's Auction (6)

*>Censer: What the f*ck!*

*>Hutian Crest: Hahahaha, take that, Lanjen!*

*>Simulator Child: Well... as much as I didn't want that money to be spent, this reaction from the crowd is quite something.*

*>Aphro Expo: Indeed... It's a cathartic takedown!*

*>Fae Sol: Well aren't you fired up now? Bid away. Like I said, there's no one stopping you!*

The cart wheeled the seventh item onto the stage.

The item wasn't a spectacular one, but with all the chanting from the audience and Jisha's devilishly sweet words enticing the group chat, no one hesitated to bid their hearts out.

"50 Copper!"

"60 Copper!"

"90 Copper!"

*>Jiel: That's one of the 3 organizations in their own alliance. Should we bid on this item?*

*>Fae Sol: Yeah, I think one of you should place the bid, though? Who's up for it? You'll feel pretty good that *you* were the one to outbid them!*

*>Censer: This doesn't make any sense.*

*>Dolphin Killer: 110 Copper. Put it up!*

*>Hutian Crest: No, 130! I want it to be MY bid!*

*>Simulator Child: Why does it matter whose bid it is? Fae, what are you trying to do here?*

*>Fae Sol: I take it that Hutian Crest has the final bid on this item?*

*>Aphro Expo: 150. We want this.*

*>Fae Sol: Haha, alright then!*

"1 Bronzium, 50 Copper!" Jisha said.

What was left to be said?

"Sold to the anonymous Beyonder for 1 Bronzium, 50 Copper!"

Nobody was surprised anymore, but...

*Hmm? He's getting quite worked up.*

Lanjen, who most likely assumed Jisha would run out of money, was fuming in his seat.

The cart wheeled the eighth item and the auctioneer introduced the item with a mischievous smile.

"We have 3 items left. And this next one is a panacea! Until level 10, it can be a full heal, ladies and gentlemen! The bidding starts at 500 Copper!"

They way it was introduced, it seemed to be the most valuable item of the auction thus far. The bidding frenzy began once more.

"750 Copper!"

"1 Bronzium!"

"1 Bronzium, 50 Copper!'

...

At this point, the bids were higher than they ever were before. It was clear that the organizations that had held off on purchasing some of the previous cheaper items were going all in on the final 3.

*But this item seems to be a bit overpriced?*

The auctioneer had ornerily labeled the item as a panacea, but from what Jisha could remember about it...

*Hm... This item is a classic!*

*>Dolphin Killer: I don't know how much we have left, but it's clear that someone had Bronzium from somewhere. I saw we raise the bid. 1 Bronzium, 100 Copper?*

*>Hutian Crest: 2 Bronzium!*

*>Censer: Hutian, you've absolutely lost it...*

*>Fae Sol: We won't be winning this item. Not because there isn't enough money in the pot, but because this item is overpriced. I'll deal with this.*

*>Simulator Child: Oh, and how do you know that?*

*>Fae Sol: I have my ways.*

"1 Bronzium, 70 Copper!" Jisha said, placing a bid that was reasonable for the field to compete with.

"1 Bronzium, 75 Copper!"

And naturally, it was raised.

"1 Bronzium, 80 Copper!"

So Jisha raised it again.

"1 Bronzium, 90 Copper!"

"1 Bronzium, 95 Copper!"

...

And thus, a back and forth of small increments ensued. There were still a few players in the mix, but eventually they were weeded out. Only two were remaining bidding back and forth.

"1 Bronzium, 130 Copper," said Lanjen.

"1 Bronzium, 135 Copper," said Jisha.

The audience could only stare in awe as the two titans' wealths collided.

When Landen saw what item was being sold, he knew he had to obtain it. From his beta testing experience, it was a bona-fide full heal potion that not only restored all HP and MP, but also removed all status effects.

"1 Bronzium, 140!" said Lanjen. But as soon as he said it...

"1 Bronzium, 142!"

The anonymous girl raised the bid again. To Landen, who was starting to lose his mind, these bids from the girl could only be bluffs. However, you could not place a bid if you didn't have sufficient funds. This meant that, in some absurd logic, she actually had the money she claimed to and was willing to spend it on this item!

"1 Bronzium, 150!" he said.

*There's no way she has more.*

"1 Bronzium, 155!" she said.

"Tch... 1 Bronzium, 170!" he said.

*It's impossible. This has to be her limit.*

"1 Bronzium, 171," she said... but *very* slightly quieter.

Landen didn't miss the change in the player's articulation.

*Only incremented by one... She's clearly less confident about this! This has to be her limit! This next bid will crush her.*

"2 Bronzium!"

And so Landen placed a bid that once again made the audience gasp!

With a smug smile, he looked over at the female avatar who appeared to be nervously biting her thumb.

*Haha, you like that? This item is mine!*

When no other bid was placed, the auctioneer began to count.

"... going once..."

"..."

No bids.

"... going twice..."

"..."

More silence from his opponent. Landen continued to stare at her.

*Yes, show me your frustration!*

"Sold to the Beyonder Lanjen!"

But when the auctioneer confirmed the sale... The anonymous player's face twisted into a chilling grin.

When he saw this, Landen was confused.

Why did her face show such glee at losing such a valuable opportunity?

*>-2 Bronzium*

*>+1 Magic Milk Bottle*

Something wasn't right!

Landen quickly checked the descriptions of the item he had just received.

*>Name: Magic Milk Bottle (Expired)*

...

*>Description: Under level 10, has a 25% chance to remove all status effects on consumption and has a 75% chance to inflict Nausea.*

*... Huh?*

It was odd. In the beta, Landen could have sword that he used an identical-looking item to instantly heal him back to full. It even had the same name. But...

*Expired???*

When Landen looked at the smug girl who was staring back at him... He couldn't help but fly into a rage.

*I'm going to kill her!*