Level 0 Concerto

*>Brent: That's strange. There's only one?*

The Brent Clan had ambushed 3 players and fended off 18. They had defeated 21 players in total. There was a crowd that exceeded that number that was spectating from the edge of the War Zone. Yet, even this large group of players was hesitant to band together and take down the Clan. After all, these were random players that didn't have a leader, nor did they have the charisma and willpower of the Warroirs. Since they weren't unified, they could easily turn on each other.

In addition, some people had noticed their experience bars fill up automatically at level 0, concluding that they would automatically level up after a period of time. The consensus among the crowd was that it was not worth it to confront the Clan; they would rather idle their way to level 1.

Yet, despite this, a single user was confronting the seven. It was surely strange. The clan couldn't help but voice their surprise.

"What's this, a little girl came to play?"

The avatar in front of them was wearing a plain black outfit with two gray dots on its shoulders indicating that it was ranged. Named Fae Sol, it appeared to be that of a girl of approximately 15 to 17 years of age. However, it was a game world. An avatar of a player betrayed nothing about the user's true looks, but the fact that the avatar was female could hint at a couple of things about the user's personality. In this region, especially in full-dive VR, men were less likely to use female avatars. It was indeed more likely the user in front of them was a woman.

"Those starter items. Instead of throwing them away, you should just give them to me."

*>Kenshi: Huh?*

The words that came out of the girl's mouth made no sense. It wasn't just Kenshi - the entire Clan was struck with confusion. Not only did a solo user challenge seven others, but her demand made zero sense.

"Hahahahaha...!"

In such a bewildered state, the Clan could do nothing but laugh. Was the user of the female avatar a man or a woman? At this point, it seemed likely it was a masochistic man. It was unlikely for a woman to begin such a confrontation. And...

"Is that a joke? You should become a comedian. You'd be the funniest woman in history."

"I know, right? It's already funny enough that she wants to collect garbage, but it's even funnier that she wants to take stuff from us!"

Women weren't treated as equals in the Slyker Dynasty. In fact, the entirety of the "Abandoned Northeast", or the northeast region of Etmos was the same way. Though the technology of this region was deemed pseudo-futuristic, the cultural values seemed relatively outdated compared to the rest of the world. This was especially true when you compared them with the Southwest, which was gaining a lot of female participation in traditionally male-dominant roles.

Because of the disparity between the sexes, men oftentimes made male avatars, but there were exceptions. It was these reasons that the Clan could guess Fae Sol was likely to be a man. However, the Clan still treated Fae Sol as a woman, because that's how she appeared to them.

Just because jokes like this were made didn't mean the Clan was evil or misogynistic - this was just how society in the Abandoned Northeast functioned.

"Girl, who are you even with?"

His clanmates' pestering made Bren feel slightly uneasy, so he offered her a pressure-abating question. However...

"With? I'm alone."

His efforts backfired. The Clan was shocked into silence once again, surprised that Fae Sol would boldly admit her solitude.

"... Hey, are you serious?"