Chapter 25 ~ This'll be the Day That I Die

Yelena sat next to the window, looking out of the scenery once again while everyone settled in. Natasha had called shotgun and got it since she was alive again, which Yelena protested wasn't fair, and Clint was sitting next to her, driving the car.

Tony and Fanny sat in the seats next to Yelena, Fanny half laying on Yelena's lap. Wanda, Peter, and Lila took the seats right behind them. While Captain America, Bucky, and Bruce sat in the back, where there was more room.

A few hours earlier, Clint had said he was going to take Lila back home and wondered if Yelena wanted to come with him to get her truck. She agreed and Natasha told them she was going to come too to spend time with Yelena. Then Peter begged to go too, and Tony told Clint that he could use one of his vans if everyone else could come.

So they decided it would be a lot of fun, packed up what they needed, and borrowed one of Tony's many vans.

Seriously, why does one man need so many vans?

Lila was excited to head back home and tell her mother everything that had happened while she was gone. Yelena was sure that Laura would be so shocked about what had happened, that she would forget all about punishing Lila for stowing away.

"How about some music?" Clint asked over everyone's talking.

"Yeah!" Everyone chorused back.

Natasha flicked on the radio, the music of the half finished American Pie filling the car. Yelena smiled, her gaze once again turning back to the window.

Oh, and there we were all in one place

A generation lost in space

With no time left to start again

Yelena's mind filled with memories of how empty everyday seemed to be when she learned that Natasha had died. How lost and cold she had felt. Nothing was the same.

Melina was even more closed off. Alexie was uncharastically silent. The other black widows were unsure how to feel, and gave the mourning family plenty of space to figure things out.

But Yelena...

Yelena was broken...

lost...

She felt like nothing would ever be normal again.

All she wanted to do was give her sister a hug and see her smile... but she didn't think that would ever happen again.

So she left the farm.

So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick

Jack Flash sat on a candlestick

'Cause fire is the Devil's only friend

But then Natasha had appeared and for a moment, Yelena remembered the good days when it was her and Natasha against the world.

When the world consisted of school bullies and little fumbles.

Yelena had wished that things could be like that again.

That things could be perfect.

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage

My hands were clenched in fists of rage

No angel born in Hell

Could break that Satan spell