•16•

Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ 4 ~ Tʜʏ Sᴏᴜʟ Iɴsᴛʀᴜᴄᴛᴇᴅ

★ ★ ★

A few hours later, Maia is still working in the Hunters Moon whilst Alisha sits at the bar beside Simon. The vampire and hybrid catch up with each other, Simon telling her all about the mark he got in the Seelie realm whilst Alisha tells him about the shadowhunter world. The two continue to talk whilst Maia works her shift. Alisha brings the glass of bourbon to her lips as she listens to Simon rambles on about his day and how he met this person who offered him an apartment but he said no. She lets the vampire ramble on and on, not that she minds, the hybrid classes Simon as one of her best friends.

"If you didn't have that mark, I'd smack you. How could you not take this apartment?" Maia comments as she walks back to the bar.

"Um... because I need to avoid blasting people to smithereens?" Simon responds making Alisha smile but quickly hides it behind her glass.

"Your power only gets triggered when people try to hurt you." Maia says as she walks behind the bar and further away from the pair. Simon quickly follows the werewolf making Alisha roll her eyes and follow after them both. Why couldn't we just sit still the hybrid thinks.

"Yeah, but... things can get tense when you share an apartment." Simon says as Maia pours a drink. "What if I do something that annoys the guy?"

"Enough to wanna hurt you?" Alisha questions and Maia nods at her, signalling they both had the same idea

"I don't know what could set him off." Simon comments, glancing between the girls. "Leaving dirty dishes in the sink. Clipping my toenails on the couch."

"Ew." Maia grimaces. "You clip your toenails on the couch?"

"No." The Lewis boy is quick to respond. "No, but hypothetically."

"Now I want to hurt you." Maia says, grabbing the drinks she's prepared and walking out from behind the bar. "Take this apartment. Besides, you can't afford your own place unless you move to Jersey." She goes to bring the drinks to a table, Simon quick on her tail. The hybrid just sits where she was as she drinks the alcohol in front of her.

"Whoa, what's wrong with the Garden State? That's where you're from." Simon comments and Alisha glances at Maia slightly, knowing about her whole Jersey situation. The werewolf quickly stops and turns back to Simon.

"And I'm never moving back. So, since Jersey is out and we can't hook up at the Jade Wolf... You do the math." She says and walks back behind the bar. The vampire stands there for a few minutes before going back over to Alisha only to receive the same look Maia was giving him.

"Take the apartment." She says. "Otherwise you have two werewolves on your ass." She quickly gulps the rest of her bourbon before saying goodbye to the vampire and werewolf.

When the hybrid arrives to the institute, she immediately walks to hers and Alec's room. As soon as she opens the door she notices Alec staring out of the window, a blank look on his face. Frowning, she quickly closes the door and walks over to her boyfriend. She wraps her arms around his waist, his back resting on her chest as she rests her head on her his shoulder.

"Hey." She says, giving him a soft peck on the cheek. "You alright?" She asks, noticing his lost gaze. Suddenly snapping out of his trance, Alec turns to his girlfriend with an obviously false smile.

"I'm alright." He says and gives her a quick kiss on her lips. The hybrid frowns, knowing she's being lied too.

"No your not. What's wrong Alec?" Alisha tries again, now interlacing their fingers and keeping eye contact with her boyfriend so she knows if he's lying.

"It's about Jace." Alec comments and Alisha's eyebrows furrow in concern. She remembers Alec talking to her about her and Jace's mother Céline. "He's my parabatai, so I should be able to help him. But this, I just... I don't know how." Alisha places both her hands on Alec's cheeks and offers him a small smile.

"We don't know if Jace is going down the same road as our mother. Don't lose hope." She says comfortingly. Alec smiles slightly and joins their lips together for a short but passionate kiss.

"Thank you." He says after pulling away. The shadowhunter then walks over to his desk and grabs a book from a pile and sits down in a chair.

"What's this?" Alisha gestures all the books scattered on his desk.

"I need to stop these mundane murders. We have no idea who or what the Owl is and hit a dead-end on testing Morgan." Alec comments and then looks at his book "Digging for clues." Alisha walks over and sits on the coffee table in front of Alec. He glances at her just as she opens her mouth to speak.

"We could ask Magnus to help?" She questions and Alec shakes his head slightly.

"I'm sure he's got better things to do." He states. "Plus we ask him for help all the time."

"Mundanes are killing other mundanes. We need his help." Alisha begins. "Look, I can call Magnus and ask him to come and examine Morgan. His magic can help us a lot." Alisha watches as Alec puts the book down and walks to the window.

"Thank you. But with this, I just..." he trails off, his voice cracking ever so slightly. The head of the institute shakes his head making Alisha stand up and walks over to him, wrapping her arms over his shoulders.

"We'll make it through this. Okay?" She says with a small smile as Alec turns to face her. He mirrors her smile and nods gratefully. "One step at a time."

"Yeah, I know. Thank you." He says and Alisha smiles, placing her hands on his cheeks and kissing him gently.