𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚        ˚*•̩✩•̩̩͙*˚*

A Door Into The Dark

Everything was slowly but surely blowing up in their faces. Every opportunity they had seemed to be slipping through their fingers like sand in a timer. We're they on a timer? Was all of this just counting down till they lost Jace for good? Arya didn't want to think like that. But did she have any choice?

She wasn't the only one who felt like they were pulling their hair out. Alec had been dealing the worst—undoubtedly. The echoes of his fist meeting the leather outside of the punching bag could be heard in echoes from outside the training room. His fists were red and tender, his face the picture of frustration.

"Alec, are you okay?" Clary asked the raven-haired boy. He paid no mind to the slightly sad glimmer behind her eyes nor the thinned skin on his knuckles.

The boy barely spared a glance in the girl's direction—an action which she noticed. "Bold of you to show your face here." He grumbled, throwing a fist full of anger into the leather bag that was bruised and beaten. 

The redhead froze in her approach. "I can explain." She insisted. But of course, now that the news of Clary's mother's attempt at killing Jace and Clary's blatant disregard of the whole situation had reached Alec, he couldn't have been more furious with the girl.

Alec scoffed. He highly doubted that there was any reasonable explanation she could concoct that would justify her actions. "Unless your explanation can bring Jace back, save it." He spat, the tone reflecting his anger, similar to the fist that hurled into the pad again.

Clary uncrossed her arms and dropped them down to her side. "Alec, Jace is my brother, too." She insisted.

Alec's face turned cool and stony when he turned to the girl who was standing in the doorway with a sorry look in her eyes. "You barely know him. I grew up with him. I fought by his side. He's my brother. He's my best friend." Alec listed, his connection with Jace simply couldn't be rivalled, even against Clary's.

Clary sighed. "Alec..." She spoke softly, taking a few steps closer to the sweaty boy. He didn't allow her the chance to touch him and backed away, recoiling his arm from her attempting to give him sympathy.

She looked down at the ground, the runes floor of the training room catching her attention. "Alec, I want Jace back as much as you do. I... I am not my mother." She spoke softly. Although, while it was evident that she and Jace had some sort of bond, nobody could truly comprehend how much Jace and Alec's was.

Alec finally looked at her in the eyes, his jaw was clenched and his eyes burned as he looked down at her with such bitterness. "How well do I even know you? I mean, you show up out of nowhere, you convince my brother, you convince my sister, you convince my girlfriend, you convince me to search for your mother. And the next thing I know, Jace is gone. And your mother is the one trying to kill him." He spoke harshly, his words laced with venom like poison in a chalice.