16

❝ We were
Just friends that spoke like lovers
And that seemed to be enough for
Two teenagers who were scared to love one
Another ❞

k.a.t

Thea took a step back, hands grasping for the door handle. Anything to get away from him. Her father sneered as he barged past, knocking her shoulder on his way past. Thea brought her lip to her mouth, a bad habit of hers. He stormed up the stairs, taking them two at a time, rushing out of sight.

Thea stuck her head outside, eyes searching for her mother but didn't see her. The only person in sight was Leo, to who she sent a small smile and a wave. Leo waved and blew her a kiss.

She had known Leo since she had been a baby. He had watched her grow up and was more present than her biological father himself. She closed the door behind her and quietly made her way back upstairs. The house was quiet, except for the loud yelling she could hear from the further end of the house.

He better not be yelling at Ember.

Turning the final corner to her room, she was relieved when she saw Ember sticking her head out of her room, now dressed in one of Thea's dresses.

"Who's yelling?," Ember whispered, moving out of Thea's room.

Thea sighed and directed Ember back into the room. She closed the door behind them, making sure she locked it behind her.

"It's m-my Dad", she whispered. Her eyes burned with tears, and she wrapped her hands around herself wishing the earth could swallow her whole.

Ember moved from where she was standing and engulfed Thea in a hug, flattening down her hair. "Shh, it's okay", she whispered, burrowing Thea's head into the crook of her shoulder.

Thea sniffled and tightened her arms around Ember. She had wanted to cry since she got out of bed this morning, and nothing was holding her back now. Thoughts of Adonis not texting her came back and before long tears we falling from her eyes, onto Ember's sweater.

Minutes later, her phone rang so she begrudgingly stepped away from Ember's hold to grab the phone. She took in a shaky breath as she saw Adonis' name flashing on her screen.

She turned back to Ember, who gestured for her to answer the call and walked back into her closet so she could give them some privacy.

" Hi", she whispered, wrapping her arms around herself to protect her from the cold she was suddenly feeling. The other line was silent for a while before a choked sob sounded out.

"B-aby", Adonis croaked, hating the way his voice cracked. He cleared his voice and turned looking for any cars. He shouldn't be on his phone but he couldn't help but call her to hear her voice.

Thea shifted, alert once she heard the sadness present in his voice. "Is everything okay?", she asked.

Adonis sighed. He'd rather tell her in person so he decided to ask her if he could come over. He pulled into the driveway of his house, and turned the ignition off, stepping out the car.

"Alright, I'll come over in about an hour". Thea nodded, even though he couldn't see her, and ended the call.

She sighed, flopping back on her bed. Her life was a mess, her bed was a mess and more importantly, she still hadn't packed for their upcoming trip.

The door slamming shut from downstairs made her jump in fright, and she wished she could bury herself deeper into her sheets. 

Getting up she scanned the hallway making sure he was out of sight before knocking on the door to Ares' room. Pushing it open she found him sitting against the floor, head buried in his hands. She went to sit next to him, interlocking their arms and resting her head against his shoulder.