Chapter One

Chapter One

Nicole could never forget the look of surprise in people’s faces as soon as she walked inside the chapel. It was soon followed by whispers and some pointy fingers that she couldn’t bear to see. Tears prickled the back of her eyes, gulping hard as she swallowed her pride and dignity. She couldn’t even believe herself that she was taking Cora’s place as the bride, the moment she had arrived in front of the church, remorse and fear had ignited from her chest. It was unnecessary for her look everywhere but she couldn’t help herself as her eyes wandered traitorously. The groom was standing, waiting for the wrong bride, his fingers linked together. He stood in a proud stance, his eyes meeting hers with a flicker of dismay and shock that embedded on his face, betraying his emotions for the public to see. She pleaded him with her eyes, willing him to play along and promising in a silent way to show that she would explain later. With a tight, grim expression he reached a hand out and took her arm from her father whom hadn’t spoken one bit when he saw it was his youngest daughter he was going to be giving away instead of the oldest.

Marcus gave a curt, stiff nod and they took their place in front of the altar. To this very moment, she was committing a sin that she did not chose to do in the first place. The bridesmaids were seated at her right corner while the groomsmen were designated at her left. She heard murmurs and tried to ignore it; focusing on the ceremony instead. It was tough, having to sit there listen to the priest as he blessed their marriage with holy matrimony. She wanted to shout at everybody and tell them the real truth. That her big sister, Cora, hadn’t wanted to get married in the first place and lost the same feeling she used to feel for her ex-fiancé. She casted a look at the maid of honours; she was supposed to be there, not here sitting with the man she loved her whole life but could never really have since he loved her sister. Now her fairy-tale had become twisted and she was being trapped into a marriage with the one man she was unlikely to marry. She saw Marcus’ clenched jaw when it was time for them to say their vows. They were beckoned to stand and they did, with butterflies flying inside her belly she faced her soon-to-be husband.

Marcus had a nice, squared jaw that could make any woman swoon. His eyes were the colour of blue; with a strikingly gold flecks around the pupil. It was so deep that the dark-blue contrast around his iris made it look green sometimes in certain, different lights. His cheekbones were defined in a very good-way that just added up to his good-looks, nose straight and slightly long. A pair of nice, generous, ample lips were pressed in a line. No wonder she had fallen in love with him quickly. Nicole had always thought it was just infatuation that she felt for his looks but it soon developed into another level as she had gotten to know him more. But that obviously hadn’t helped her situation, instead, it only intensified her feelings for Marcus.

The priest stared at her and asked, “Nicole Gunningham and Marcus Simons, have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?”

They spoke in unison, “Yes.”

His normally calm, and pleasant demeanour slowly changed and his face revealed all; it contorted anger, coldness, teeth gritted as the priest motioned for him to repeat after him. The words was ushered out, the tone of his voice never changing, never unveiling a single of emotion.

I, Marcus Cory Simons, take you, Nicole Savannah Bailey to be my lawfully wife. To have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part….”

Hearing Marcus say those vows brought tears to her eyes; they were not happy tears normal brides feel but rather sadness and guilt. It was bad enough to marry her sister’s fiancé but what was worst was seeing him standing face to face next to her. The priest motioned for her to do the same process as Marcus did, waiting for her to say her own vows.