Prologue

Prologue

"I can't do this" Nicole's older sister cried out. Cora looked so beautiful in her bridal gown, which only enhanced her pale flawless skin. Nicole had just finished adjusting the veil on her sister's head, when she said the words she never imagined Cora would say.

"What do you mean? Cora, what on earth is happening?" she asked, slightly tempted to shake her sister to clear some of the fog that loomed in her brain.

"I can't marry, Marcus. I do not love him anymore, not the way I used to feel for him." Cora uttered. She took the veil out of her hair and dropped it on the floor. Immediately, Nicole picked it up and place it gently on the surface of the drawer as if it were a delicate thing. Well, it was for her. Marriage had always been her dream ever since she heard their grandmother's love-story. Nicole would remember sitting in her grandmother's lap; listening intently and not wanting to miss a thing.

"You have to replace me, Nicole" her sister's voice interrupted her thoughts. She had been thinking again; too much lately, at that.

Cora's words sank in and she gaped at her. "What are you talking about? You know, I couldn't place your throne in the altar! Marcus and you are going to get married, Cora. Do not be ridiculous, he is waiting for you as do our parents'"

"Don't you see? I don't love him! If I stay and married him, I would be miserable. You know as much as I do that I do not ever wanted to be trapped in a marriage where I could not love the man I will spend the rest of my life with!" Cora snapped, then her eyes softened and said in a pleading tone. "Please, Nicole! You will be the perfect bride for Marcus, you two get along just fine if I say so myself. And not to mention that you still have that crush on him, don't you? I'm sure that will be enough to make the marriage work between you and him"

Nicole sucked in a breath. How could her sister bring that subject up? She'd felt nothing but puppy love ever since she met Marcus for the first time. Blond, handsome, dangerous. With those piercing gray eyes, Nicole knew that she was lost. Just a brief glance in those depths was enough to make her keel over. Of course, to make things worst the stupid crush she'd developed on him turned into a marital love. She often day-dreamed that one day Marcus would come sweeping her off her feet and living happily-ever after just like her grandmother did.

"He will hate me, Marcus, that is. It's you he loves, Cora. Not me, and our parents' would be scandalized! Please, don't ask this of me." Nicole pleaded.

"Oh, but I cannot! Nicole, you're my only hope. I don't think I'd ever last in this marriage if the ceremony took place. I found somebody else, Nic. I can't marry him." Quickly, Cora shucked out of her wedding dress and pushed Nicole into one of the cubicles to change and within those process; Nicole had tried to open her mouth and disagree with her sister's decision. Only when she saw herself wearing the dress did the thing shock her.

She couldn't believe she was taking her sister's rightful place beside her husband-to be. She'd only hoped that Marcus would not tear her apart silently with his eyes when he saw her walking down the aisle instead of her beloved. Nicole just hoped and prayed that he would not be furious nor be cold enough to let her explain the unwanted situation she had gotten herself into.

Vote and comment. New story of the series. Enjoy lovelies x