Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Nicole collapsed, with a thud on the soft, white-linen bed. Exhaustion fell heavily down on her, her eyes closed as she inhaled greater gulps of air. Today had been tiring and the work-demands of her husband had made things even more worst. She slung an arm over her forehead, shielding her eyes from the pool of lamp light. Tears leaked down the corners of her eyelids, sliding down to her pillow. Nicole did not made an attempt to wipe it away; too fatigued to do such a simple - yet required pulling a muscle - task. The emotional weariness she felt was far greater than the physical drained; Marcus' nastiness and viciousness did not sit-well with her state of mind, not only bruising her ego but also her vulnerable, low self-esteem. Nicole blinked, sending a rush of little droplets down the mattress. The dirty lines of the ceiling met her attention, seeing without really absorbing anything. She was consumed with forlorn and repentant, wondering how a man like Marcus could be so cruel. She had given her best to be the best wife a man could ever ask for; she had tried to stay out of his way. Then what did Marcus do by repaying her back? Shattering her cool demeanour to keep things steady between them and give him the space he obviously needed. He crushed it in the palm of his hands, throwing it at her face for good measure.

Feeling the first pull of sleep, she landed on her side, curving an arm beneath her wet cheek. Nicole did not bother doing any of her nightly routine. She did not brush her teeth, nor brushed her hair. Her work-clothes still on, she couldn't care-less whether it wrinkled in the morning. A yawn escaped her, her eyelashes curtaining down on her amber eyes. The fogginess of mist clouded her vision and that same night she dreamt.

Everything was dark.

So painfully dimmed that she could not see anything. Nicole stretched her hands out blindly, trying to find something to get her hands on. To get in contact with it in case this was a nightmare. A bubble of terror gripped her, overwhelming her as a weak, helpless cry tore from her lips. Her lungs failed miserably to work; she was not getting enough oxygen. She clawed continuously at her throat, trying to breathe in air but nothing came.

Then a sudden remembrance came crashing down on her.

She was five years old again. The water labelled to her face, the widening of the ocean making her heart sink. She was going to die. She knew she should have listened to her parents' that she should never have come to the deepest end. She thrashed, arms flailing before her eyes. Trying to get anyone's attention in her dream.

A distant sound came from within, a faint voice that seemed to call out to her. But Nicole was far too deep and her mind could no longer work.

"Nicole!" A strong grasp of fingers circled her flapping arms. The intruder shook her, forcing her to open her eyes and inhaling far too quickly. The mist of her nightmare loomed in the back of her head, trying to trap her in once again.

"No!" she cried out and made a striking motion with her limbs.

"Nicole, calm down!" A curse irrupted and it seemed to be coming from a familiar voice. A male one interjected her thrashing and for the first time, Nicole had noticed her husband's face appeared in front of her.

With a broken sob, she threw her arms around him, unconsciously. She seemed unaware of the tension of Marcus' body, the way his arm settled awkwardly around her back and letting it fall back rapidly down to his sides. Nicole buried her face in his neck, inhaling his musky, masculine scent.

Tremors shook her body, the haze of her dream no longer visible. Their position sank into Nicole, her eyes widening as she realized she was fully pressed against her husband. An electrifying tingle bypassed between them; amber eyes meeting his blue ones. Nicole felt a swell of desire in the downward direction, her mouth forming into an "O" shape as she quickly released her hold on Marcus. He gave a stifled growl and came down with her, their bodies gliding as it hit the bed. She became painfully aware of his growing erection pressed up against her stomach, his beautiful, bare-chest crushing her weight beneath him.