Part 10

Sheriff ran. His eyes stung, having been running for a couple hours at least. The sun shined high in the sky, aiming down at Sheriff. It was noon. Sheriff heard a few birds fly away from nearby branches as he ran beneath them. Sheriff felt lost without Skittles. How could Sheriff get them back? Where did he go? Where did Auditor take him? 

Those questions didn't matter.. even though it would be nice if they weren't left unanswered. He was going to get Skittles back. And he wouldn't stop until he succeeded, no matter what he had to do. Sheriff stumbled on a stick that had fallen from a tree, probably blown here from the wind. He grunted, getting snapped out of his thoughts.

Sheriff) Where did he take you..

Sheriff coughed, before running faster, watching for other sticks or logs. Giving a low growl as he stumbled on a rock. He looked up. Apparently the rock was at the edge of a road. A deep rumbling shook the ground. He made it out of the forest.. but now he was left standing by a highway.

Sheriff) How far did I run.?

Sheriff thought a-loud. Sheriff looked around, not sure where he was supposed to go now. Someone was slowly pulling their vehicle over on the side of the road, near where Sheriff stood. They stopped, stepping out. They were wearing a maroon-red leather jacket, and a black baseball cap—that seemed to be brand-less, like they had removed it. They wore a belt around their waist, holding up their pants, that obviously didn't fit them. The belt seemed almost just as loose—a bit counterintuitive, no?

?) Yo. What are ya doin' here on the side of the road?

Sheriff's mind came back to the present. He slightly cringed back, not realizing how close they had stopped in-front of him.

?) Did your wife kick ya out of the car?

Sheriff slightly shook his head, taking a few steps back. Sheriff didn't feel comfortable with how close they had been standing to him—he could literally smell their breath. It reeked of cheap alcohol, and cigars. They smirked weirdly at Sheriff, causing uncomfortable goosebumps to go down his spine. 

?) Need a lift?

Sheriff blinked. He didn't feel like getting in a truck—let alone any vehicle at all—with this person, wether he knew them or not—No. He never would have talked to them in the first place.

Sheriff) No thank you..

?) Oh- right.. The names Tob.

Tob held their hand out to Sheriff. Sheriff hesitated before slowly reaching out to shake Tob's hand in return. Sheriff smiled awkwardly. 

Sheriff) Sheriff.. nice to meet you.. par'ner.. 

Tobs eyes lit up. He smiled, seeming to ignore what Sheriff had said earlier, about not wanting a ride.

Tob) Where do you need to go? You look lost.

Tob didn't let go of Sheriffs hand when he tried to pull away. Sheriffs palm started to feel clammy from sweat, and warmth—just standing there. Awkwardly.

Several moments of silence passed, before Tob let go of Sheriffs hand. Sheriff let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. He tensed up when Tob placed a hand on his shoulder, instead. 

Sheriff) C.. can you please not.?

Sheriff slowly slipped Tobs hand off, and away from his shoulder. Tob scowled, before his face relaxed once more.

Tob) Sorry bud. But, you are lost, right? I can direct you to some of Idaho's finest hotels!

Sheriff thought for a moment. He didn't need a hotel- wait. What did he say? Idaho??  Sheriffs eyes widened.

Sheriff) W-what.?!

Tob laughed. It was a low, eerie, almost crumbly sound. How Sheriff was destined to meet this uncanny person, he didn't know. Sheriff was still unsure himself how he had managed to run from Nevada, to Idaho. Not wanting to add more: probably-unsolvable-unimportant-questions to his list. Sheriff thought he was being dramatic though. He took a deep breath, hating to have to do this. Although not for his pride, but for his self-respect. He still begged to differ that there was a difference. Before putting it off, never to have been asked—Sheriff suddenly blurted out what he hadn't wanted to say, but what he needed to do.

Sheriff) Well.. does that offer still stand? I.. I need to get to Nevada from here.