Chapter 9: Stirrings

"HEY! C'mere!"

Jack is shouting from the lower deck, waving his hand at me with a silly grin on his face.

I wonder what now? I pull up the tail of my dress and walk down the steps.

He points to a row of glass bottles lined up on the railing of the ship.

"What's this?" I'm confused by his excitement.

"I'm going to teach you to shoot, mate!" He laughs. "Next time we fight I don't want to have to worry about myself, or one of the poor saps on me crew, gettin our heads blown off."

"I was not that bad." I huff and cross my arms.

He reaches into the front of his belt and pulls out his pistol, holding it out toward me.

"Oh yes..." His voice teasing. "And next time you reach into my pants like that, at least give me a warning first."

My cheeks feel hot as I snatch the gun from his hand.

"I wouldn't test a lady with a weapon." I retort.

"If it is me you're aiming at, I won't have to worry about getting hit anyway."

I hold the pistol in one hand, it's quite heavy for its size. I point at the bottle and pull the trigger but the kickback of the gun causes the bullet to shoot into the air.

I try again. This time holding the pistol with both hands and gripping it with all of the strength in my arms.

This time when I shoot the bullet hits just short of the bottle and ricochets off of the wooden railing. I sigh in defeat.

"Here." I feel Jack's hands rest on my shoulders and he pulls them back gently. "Stand up straight."

He traces his hands down my arms and repositions my elbows.

He holds the pistol, his hands ontop of mine. His skin was rough and callused.

"You need to follow the barrel with your eyes, savvy?" He presses his face against mine, the scruff on his chin scratched my cheek. "It helps if you close one eye."

My heart races with our closeness. I follow his gaze and aim the pistol, he pushes my finger into the trigger and the glass bottle explodes into million small shards.

"Now..." He lets go and steps back. "Show me how it's done."

I use my muscle memory to repeat the stance I had held before. Closing my eye and aiming with the barrel.

I pull the trigger and the top half of the glass bottle bursts, the bottom rolls off of the railing and onto the deck.

"Ooo... a head shot!" Jack says enthusiastically, sounding almost juvenile. "Aim for the heart this time."

I side step infront of the next bottle, adjusting my stance. I hold my breath, aiming the head of the pistol at the center of the bottle.

I shoot and the bottle shatters perfectly.

"Yes!" I cheer, throwing my arms into the air.

Jack claps for me. "You'll be a great pirate yet."

I turn to face him, feeling playful. "I'm going to be the best pirate."

"Oh really?" He giggles.

"Yes. I'm going to be like Robin Hood. I'm going to steal from other pirates and give back to the people." I smirk and point the pistol at him. "One of them being you!"

He reaches up and grabs the shaft of the pistol, pointing it up into the air.

"You think your a match for the Captain Jack Sparrow!?"