Chapter 12: When One Journey Ends, Another Begins

"Your okay now... your going to be okay." I finished wrapping Jack's wounds and wipe his face with a cool cloth.

"Im... feeling good..." He takes another large swig of his rum and his face relaxes, the alcohol is starting to take affect.

"Rest up now..." I pull the sheet up over him and as I stand up I can already hear him snoring. I hold in a giggle.

I walk up to an old looking mirror that stood against the wall. I can see the reflection of the gash on my chest, it had already begun to heal... perhaps another mermaid quirk?

I can see Jack behind me, sprawled out across the bed with his rum still in hand.

Beside the mirror was a desk, it was covered in all types of papers and maps. I run my fingers across all of the intricate lines of the page. How he cannot read but still be able to decipher all of this is beyond me.

Laid atop of one of the maps was his compass, it was quite nice looking although it was useless. I pick it up and open it, the needle spins violently and suddenly stops, pointing toward Jack. I really don't understand it.

I walk out to the deck, the ship hadn't moved. we will probably stay in this cave until morning since there are no longer any threats.

The deck was empty, not a soul in sight. Everyone must be gone to sleep.

I look down at the compass one again and it is stopped in the direction of Jack's cabin. Directions don't chance like that. I sigh and snap it closed, shoving it into my corset.

Im not particularly tired, but I decide to join the crew below and catch some sleep.

***

I can suddenly feel a tightness on my chest, like there had been a weight on it. Am I having night terrors? I try to move my arms and they move with little effort, so why can't I breath?

I open my eyes and -sat on my chest- staring back at me was the dreaded monkey.

"Get off of me!" I flick it off with the back of my hand.

"What is your obsession with trying to suffocate me?" I give the little monkey a lecture as I roll out of the hammock.

I could hear all of the other crew members running across the deck above me. I look out a port hole and notice that the ship had been on the open water again. I guess you need a mermaid to get into the cave, but not to get out.

The monkey climbs onto my shoulder as i make my way to the upper deck, I go to shrug it off but I see the innocence on its face and leave it be.

"Did you find the answer you were looking for?" 

I hear a voice behind me, it was Jack, standing at the helm.

"what do you mean?"

"When i got up this morning I noticed my compass was missing." He grinned. "It has the power to tell you what you desire most."

I pull the compass from my top, can it really do that? 

"So, what did it say?" he teased. "why dont you open it?" 

I think about how the needle kept pointing to jack and i feel flushed. I pass it back to him. 

"So... where we headed Captian?" I quickly change the subject.

"Back to Port Royal." He pulls the spyglass from his face, smiling at me.

"You're taking me back!?" I shout and it scares the monkey, he jumps off of my shoulder and runs away.

He nods in response and it annoys me.

"You've got your ring so now you're just going to dump me off?" I put my hands on my hips.

Jack lowers his head, as if trying to look for the right words.

"I don't have the ring... it's gone."

"What do you mean gone!?" I furrow my brows at him and he shoots me a soft expression.

"When the cave was collapsing and you threw me the ring... it got crushed by the rock and shattered."

"Shattered!?" My jaw drops in shock.

"Yes... it was only made out of shell, love. It was very fragile."

I grit my teeth as tears well up in my eyes.

"So all of this was for nothing!?" My voice cracks. "Because of my own stupidity!?"

"Calm down." He rests a hand on my shoulder. "It's not a big deal."

"Not a big deal!? How can you say that!?"

"I can say that because... this journey with you has helped me to realize what is truly important to me."

"But..." I try to intervene but he continues.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." He smiles, his metal teeth shining in the sunlight.

"But... if you're not mad with me... then why are you sending me home?" I ask, confused.

"Because I feel it is the right thing to do." He removes his hand from my shoulder and puts it back onto the wheel. "You said that you miss home and your father. A pirate's life is not for everybody, it's very dangerous."

I do miss those things, but at this point I can't picture myself doing anything else with anybody else. I like it here, on the water... with Jack.

"I didn't tear a heart from a dead man's chest, fight a pack of feral mermaids, and kill a giant octopus all by myself to be told 'it's too dangerous!' for me." I wipe the tears from my eyes with my sleeve. "My pirate journey is only just starting!"

I can see relief wash over him, as if that was exactly what he wanted to hear.

"So you want to stay a pirate?" He asks.

"Yes."

"Forever?"

"Forever." I state with a sternness in my voice.

"In that case..." He reaches into his pocket. "There is something I'd like to ask you."

To my utter shock he gets down on one knee, pulling a ring from his pocket.

"Would you, dear, do me the honor of being my bride and sailing the seven seas with me until the end of eternity?" He holds the stolen ring with the purple stone toward me, the one he had given Angelica before.

All I can do is stand in bewilderment. I can hardly speak.

"Yes... I would love nothing more!" I spew the words out.

His eyes light up as he slides the ring onto my finger, kissing the back of my hand.

I don't even give him a chance to stand completely before I pull him into a tight hug.

"Oww!" He yelps, still not completely healed. "Easy on the goods, love!"

I laugh and loosen up my grip. He runs his fingers through my hair.

"I love you..." He mutters before wrapping his hands around my cheeks and pulling me into a passionate kiss.

I love you too.