Chapter 7: The Mermaid's Song

I lay a hand on my cheek, my face is flushed. I guess I'm not good at holding my alcohol.

The ship breaks through a curtain of fog and I see it... Shipwreck Cove.

I know it is our destination because as Jack had said, it's name was pretty self explanatory.
The island itself could not be seen because it had been completely covered in a wall of old vessels, or what was left of them. It was remarkable. How could so many men meet their demise in the exact same place?

The pearl comes to a halt and Jack and Barbossa disembark and I follow. We stand together at the base of the mountain of wreckage.

"So how are we supposed to get to the 'core', as the riddle said." I enquire and startle Barbossa, he looks at me confused as to why I came along.

"We climb." Jack replies as he points upward. "We should find an entry point further up."

And that is exactly what we do, climb.

I realize how unfit I am as I huff and puff and I haul myself up by grabbing onto any wooden planks and tattered sails I can reach. Jack climbs just above me and Barbossa below. I can hear him struggling more than I am.

"Are you going to be alright?" I ask between breaths, looking down in his direction.

"Yeah." Jack adds. "Seeings your down a leg and all."

"I'm fine." Hector growls. "You're just wanting to get the treasure for yourself."

Still looking down in Barbossa's direction I go to make a step and I feel my foot break through the rotting wood. I scream and brace myself to fall but Jack had grabbed me by the arm. How did he know I was going to fall... was he watching me?

He pulls me out of the hole and holds me around my waist as to prevent me from slipping again.

He looks down into the hole I had made. "I think we've found it!"

I lean to look as well and I can feel his grip tighten around me. Beyond the hole you could see grass and sand, the first spot of actual island I have seen since arriving.

Barbossa climbs up and down through the hole, I contemplate how I am supposed to get down from above without breaking my neck.

"Ready lass?" Jack looks at me with a grin.

"For wh-" before I could finish my question Jack picks me up bridal style and jumps down through the hole.

I shout and grab him by the collar of his shirt, we land in pile of dry palm leaves that lay on the sand.

He lays me back on my feet and laughs at my shook up expression. I cross my arms in disapproval.

"The man you're looking for's at the core..." I can hear Barbossa repeating the riddle to himself.

We look around through the darkness, my eyes can only see the shadows of the ships above us. The sudden fear that the mountain may collapse washes over me.

"Over here!" Jack hollers.

I turn in the direction of his voice and I can see a small fire had been lit. I make my way toward it and as I approach I can see the figure of a dirty, disheveled man sitting on a log beside it.