Issue 23- Last Time We Danced (Hellfire Gala)

The Hellfire Gala

Pixie was such a melting pot of emotions she wouldn't have been surprised if she couldn't contain them for long and they exploded out of her. She was so excited that the Hellfire Gala was finally here and she could enjoy the festivities. She was nervous that it would be the full official reveal of her Paragons to everyone, and she would see what the world thought of her stupid ideas. She was sad that Darktruth wasn't there to share it with her.

   That last emotion was only made stronger by the fact she'd seen his other self, his original self she supposed, about the Gala. It seemed that he had been fully accepted as a part of X-Force now given that he was a part of their security team. For some reason that left her feeling a little uncomfortable along with the sadness.

   Perhaps it was the way she noticed him return to the same places multiple times, as he continued to mutter something under his breath. Suspicion arose in her mind that he had planted several of his intelligences to spy upon the guests, which seemed a horrible breach of privacy to her as well as a betrayal of trust. The fact she couldn't be sure whether he did it himself or under orders from Beast only made the feelings worse.

   So she did whatever she could to avoid them, a task made simpler by the supply or alcohol, particularly once Nightcrawler partook a little too much. As much as she protested him stealing her drink, and as bad as she felt for having the thoughts, she did appreciate him making a fool of himself. It was the most effective distraction she could ask for.

   She'd found most of her team were already well into enjoying themselves. Mercury looked particularly stunning, she thought, with her metallic body dyed with shifting colours. It seemed Trance, who had taken to a rather simple green-and-black dress yet with trails of blue fabric that looked like her astral self leaving her body, was intent to cling to Bard's side all night. Bard had seemingly decided it was an event for cosplay, as the old woman had taken to a white ruffled shirt beneath a red-and-black jacket that tapered to points on the back with golden clasps and matching pants, and atop her head she wore a broad-brimmed red hat with gold trim and adorned with a large black feather.

   "Everyone looks ridiculous," Pixie could hear Bard grumble as she drew near.

   Trance licked her lip as she looked at the woman. "You dressed up."

   "I'm old!" the woman barked in response. "I'm allowed to make myself look like an idiot, just blame my failing mind. You young lot should know better. It's all just a massive cock measuring contest anyway, meant to make the humans shrink away in fear. Stupid if you ask me, but nobody does."

   "Enjoying yourselves?" Pixie asked.

   Hope could only give a small smile in response as Bard turned upon the young woman. "Much as can be expected I suppose. At least Trance here isn't afraid of me. She's a good one, so you better make sure she's safe."

   "I-I-I... of course," Pixie stammered. "I w-would never let-"

   "Good," Bard cut her off. "You ready for the reveal? We're gettin' second fiddle to their big X-Men moment, of course, but this is a good time to get some international support."

   "She's right," came a voice and Pixie glanced as Janet van Dyne walked up in a gold-and-black strapless dress. "I don't know who she is, but she's right."

   Pixie's eyes widened. "Oh! Miss van Dyne, this is Bard and Trance. They're our two new members." She turned to the two mutants. "Miss van Dyne is financing us."

   "Janet will be fine."

   Bard's eyes narrowed with scrutiny. "So this here's the money? You expectin' anything back for it?"