Issue 14- The Story of Us

Megan rolled over and brushed the hair from her face to stare at the man that lay upon the bed beside her, deep in the throes of sleep. He lay facing her, his mouth partially open as every so often a strange noise would escape his throat almost as if he were muttering in his sleep. It certainly wasn't his best look and yet she couldn't help but feel comforted by the sight of him. To see him like that almost made her feel like everything was still the same level of crazy it always was and not this entirely new level that had been dumped upon them.

  In that room, he was the only Darktruth in the world. It was just the two of them as they enjoyed the company of the other in a way that was special to them. They had sat and talked for hours once Darktruth was certain if he danced anymore he would collapse dead.

  If any had looked in on them she knew it would have looked like rather random nonsense. Darktruth had spoken at great length about his theory of what the world would look like if cheese had never been invented. She in turn had told him about a rather adorable dress she had found in a shop in New York but was worried she would look foolish in it. If all they paid attention to were those words they would miss the deeper conversation the two had, one spoken in soft touches and the movement of their eyes. She was also able to read him upon a deeper level; the darkness within her own soul was able to seek out darkness in the world like a compass, and so she was able to sense the darkness within the man and feel as it would wax and wane as they spoke. It was a language he didn't even know he spoke. She was glad he did though, as it always made her feel as though they had a deeper connection than could be defined by most people.

  She had been somewhat disappointed when he had finally decided he needed to rest, and had not even mildly suggested they attempt anything more intimate than a kiss. She knew it was good he didn't; she would have found it difficult to force herself to resist and she was well aware that given the situation it was certainly not a smart idea. That didn't mean she didn't wish he had given her the excuse to forget what was smart and just do what felt right. Things were quite complicated, and she rather hated complicated things. There was nothing simpler than when their bodies and souls became one, and she felt a longing for that simplicity within her.

  Yet if she was so certain she wanted things to be simple, why then did she find herself unable to sleep? Why did she find herself climbing from the bed and getting dressed? Why did she find herself with one particular place and conversation in mind?

  Because simple didn't mean it was right.

------------------------------------------------------------

The White Keep, Hellfire Bay

Emma Frost exhaled in a slow sigh as she stepped into her bedroom, dressed in a stunning white full-length negligee that hugged her curves yet billowed out into a flowing tail at her feet. Her blue eyes fell upon the figure that stood by her bed with a cold, curious look that somehow still seemed to border upon boredom.

  "I would have thought you would be deep in the sweaty embrace of your lover right now," Emma commented as she swept into the room, tearing her eyes away from the very nervous Pixie. "I always imagined he had troubles with stamina. You always could have done far better."

  "No, that's not... We didn't... I mean..." Pixie struggled to find the words as she watched the gorgeous mutant move about the space. She was certain Emma only kept moving to help reinforce just how incredible her body was, a thought that made Megan incredibly self-conscious as she wrapped her arms around herself. "I was hoping you could send a message for me. Please. Miss Frost."

  Emma turned from her, then looked back over her shoulder with such a flourish her golden hair fluttered through the air. "You know I don't much appreciate anyone intruding within my home, certainly not to ask me to act like some common message boy. I'm sure there's plenty of other telepaths you could be bothering right now."