Chapter 43

Ava stood uncertainly in front of Natasha's apartment complex. Her head was still pounding from the night before, but she didn't care. The longing for her best friend was now endless and she could no longer put off talking to Natasha.

Although she had been far too drunk after her birthday party last night, she had still spent a good two hours thinking about Natasha's present. A typewriter – that seemed such an unusual gift to Ava and Natasha wasn't someone you could necessarily find at flea markets. Natasha wasn't just into expensive champagne, but also expensive clothes. The gift meant all the more to Ava. Especially because it meant that Natasha believed in her. That she believed in her story and that Natasha believed that Ava would write a lot more in her life. That meant a lot to her.

And then there was the matter of Peter. After carefully placing the typewriter on her dresser, she had placed Peter's gift on her bed. For a few minutes she had just stared at the little box until she finally took out the necklace and placed it in her hand. It was very light and delicate, but Ava felt as if the necklace weighed several pounds. It felt as if Ava had made a promise by accepting the necklace. Or as if she had committed a terrible betrayal. To James. That's how it felt to her – like she was cheating on James because Peter was making advances. But that was nonsensical, Ava tried to reassure herself, because she had ended things with James. Inevitably, though, she had to have a serious word with Peter. She didn't want to break his heart, but he needed to understand that she could only be friends with him. She wasn't ready for anything more. Someday maybe, she had told herself last night, it would be so easy with him.

Let's get this over with, Ava thought, and pressed the bell to Natasha's apartment complex. A moment later, the buzzer told her she was let in. For a moment she paused in the hallway. Just three weeks ago, Ava had rushed up those stairs to tell her best friend that James had only used her for information. Never would she have guessed that Natasha had known about it all along. But that was in the past. Ava had to look forward, so she walked resolutely up the stairs to Natasha's flat.

"Ava!", Natasha groaned in surprise as Ava took the last two steps. "What are you doing here?"

"I-," Ava started, but wasn't quite sure what she was trying to say. Natasha immediately noticed her uncertainty and took control of the conversation.

"Happy birthday again," Natasha continued, taking a careful step towards her. Ava smiled and then couldn't help but give Natasha a hug. Natasha returned the hug immediately and Ava noticed Natasha's shoulders relax and she hugged Ava a little tighter. It felt incredibly good to be reunited with her best friend, to feel her closeness, to get her warm embrace.

"Come on in," Natasha said as they released the hug after what felt like an eternity. Ava felt that almost everything had been said with the hug. All the unspoken apologies, the unspoken explanations. Sometimes she thought she was telepathically connected to Natasha – as if they didn't need to exchange words, a look or a hug were enough to say everything that needed to be said.

This time, when Ava stepped into Natasha's living room, there was no James sitting on the sofa and no files scattered on the living room table. Relieved, Ava sat down on the black leather sofa and watched Natasha prepare coffee.

"Did you have a good day yesterday?" asked Natasha with her back turned to Ava as she got to work on the coffee machine.

"A work colleague of mine threw a party for me at Jim's," Ava told her and immediately she felt remorse. Maybe she should have gone to see Natasha yesterday. "But it was really nothing wild. Just a little party with work colleagues," Ava added so Natasha wouldn't feel left out or excluded from Avas newfound friends.

"I'm glad to hear that," Natasha replied and then joined Ava on the sofa with two cups in her hands. Ava could see a certain sadness in Natasha's eyes – it was the first time they hadn't spent Ava's birthday together.