Chapter 2

The next day, Ava went to work with a new motivation. Her first clue was not very promising, but she was convinced that she would find what she was looking for in her research. This article simply had to be good if she wanted Ranner to take her seriously. "Maybe Steve from IT can help us," Natasha had offered her on the way home last night, "If you improve the picture quality, you might be able to recognize the person in the photo better."

On her third walk to the copy room, her phone vibrated in her pocket. A new message from Natasha:

"Steve is seeing what he can do. Can't promise anything. Have to go on a date with him in return. You owe me big time!!!"

Ava beamed at the news, although she could literally hear Natasha's pissed off voice through her phone. Steve Rogers was Natasha's colleague and ever since they worked together he had had a thing for her. All Natasha had ever told Ava was how annoying she found Steve and that there was no way she would go on a date with him, no matter how many times he asked her out (and he had tried a few times before finally giving up). Secretly, Ava thought Natasha had a bit of a thing for Steve, but she didn't particularly like revealing her feelings.

The rest of the day passed quickly. Ava had her hands full at work with articles being submitted at the last moment and having to sort them for further editing. Around 6 pm, she was able to call it a day and leave the large New York Times building.

Outside, she was greeted by the tepid summer air and honking cars. She paused for a moment to take in the beauty of the city. The vibration of her phone interrupted her.

"Hey Nat, I really owe you one," Ava bubbled away, not giving Natasha a chance to get a word in first.

"Yeah and you can pay that debt off tonight. We're going on a double date, I'll pick you up in an hour."

Before Ava could even protest, Natasha hung up on her. She wouldn't take no for an answer anyway and besides, Ava owed her. It had been some time since Ava had gone on dates. Her last relationship didn't end very well and was the reason she had followed Natasha to New York. She pushed the thought of the past away and made her way to her flat to change.

A few clothing changes later and Ava was looking at her work in the mirror. She had chosen a plain black dress that accentuated her breasts and ended just above her knees. The thin straps showed off her small shoulders and left room for a plain necklace with a small red pendant that Natasha had given her when she graduated. Her medium-length dark brown hair only slightly concealed her cleavage.

Right on cue, Natasha knocked on her flat door. She was wearing a tight red dress that perfectly matched her shoulder-length red hair. She looked like a goddess. Together they drove to the bar where Steve waved them over to a table. Natasha introduced them and they ordered drinks.

"Sorry, my friend seems to be running late. He's always so busy at work," Steve looked at Ava sympathetically. She could see that he was uncomfortable that his friend had not turned up on time.

"Oh, is he with the police too?", Ava was almost glad that her date wasn't there yet. Maybe that way she could leave the bar earlier and use her time for further research.

"Why don't you ask him yourself, there he is! James, over here!", Steve jumped up and waved his friend over to their table. He was visibly relieved to get some support.

"This is Natasha, she works with me at the police station," Natasha extended her hand to James and smirked at him, "And this is Ava, her best friend."

Ava reached out to him as well and he gave her a firm handshake. In his large hand, her own seemed to almost disappear. She had her gaze fixed firmly on him. He was tall and muscular. His almost shoulder-length hair fell in his face and he tucked it behind his ear with his free hand. He let go of her hand, but she could still feel his warmth on her skin. His blue eyes pierced her as he sat down and she lowered her eyes sheepishly to the cocktail in front of her. She could feel her cheeks flush.

"And you, don't you have a job?" the gruff voice of James interrupted her thoughts.

"What?"

"Steve just introduced you as Natasha's best friend. Don't you have a job?", James asked again in his deep, almost grim voice.

"Yes I do, I work at the New York Times."

"Oh, a journalist. I guess I'd better not tell you about the skeletons in my closet then." For a moment, Ava was unsure whether or not he was joking. His face remained serious, his gaze seemed to literally penetrate her. The man was really good at staring.

While Steve and Natasha were engrossed in their conversation, constantly laughing together, the conversation between James and Ava was quite halting. Whenever Ava asked him a question, he returned vague answers. Only after her third cocktail – she had switched to non-alcoholic – did the conversation seem to pick up, even though James almost exclusively asked questions and Ava answered them in detail. He was particularly interested in her job, which surprised her as she was only a simple intern, but she was pleased that he showed so much interest in it.

"I'm working on an article right now. It's about strange happenings just outside of town." James' gaze narrowed and Ava looked down at her almost empty cocktail. She wasn't sure he was enjoying the evening. His posture and way of talking were dismissive, cool, but his eyes kept piercing her with interest.

"And what have you been able to find out so far, Master Detective?" Slowly, Ava had had enough of his sarcastic manner and penetrating questions, but she continued to be polite, for Natasha's sake, who already had Steve wrapped around her finger.

"I certainly won't tell you. It's top secret," Ava answered his question, demonstratively sucking on the straw in her cocktail.

James asked her what felt like a thousand more questions. She almost felt like she was being interrogated, but on the other hand, he seemed to be a good listener and seriously interested in what she saw as her unspectacular life. He certainly had much more interesting things to tell with his 35 years, she thought to herself. But before she could even ask a question, Natasha's voice interrupted the conversation: "I'm really sorry, but the station just called, there's been a murder. Ava, do you want me to drop you off at home on my way?"

Ava wanted to stay and find out more about James, but before she could answer, he spoke up, "I'll walk you out." With that, Natasha's question was answered.

On the way home, Ava's thoughts circled around James. His reserved yet interested manner had her all confused. And the constant staring with his piercing eyes – it had to be the alcohol from her first cocktail still clouding her senses.

Natasha stopped in front of Ava's building and she was already reaching for the door handle when she turned back to her, "Where were you called to, anyway?" The journalist in her wanted to know everything.

Natasha didn't answer immediately and looked at Ava urgently. "To the warehouses. You should seriously never go there on your own, no matter how important this research is."

Ava rolled her eyes at Natasha's serious tone of voice, "Okay, mum! Take good care of yourself out there."

Natasha's face twisted into a smirk, "Always, you know that."