Chapter 12

"I hope this isn't too uncomfortable." Ava showed James her sofa across from her bed. She had given him a blanket and a couple of cushions and fervently hoped that he would even fit on the small sofa. She doubted he would be comfortable, but the whipping wind that creaked her windows and the thick raindrops still hammering the windows allayed her doubts. But she couldn't suppress what a selfish person she was to let James sleep on that little sofa, under the pretext of the storm, just so she could spend more time with him.

"I've had to sleep on worse things." He smiled at her and before she had a chance to think further about the meaning of his words, he took her by the hand and pulled her down beside him on the sofa.

"Stay awake with me a little longer," he asked her in a sweet tone. Ava literally melted. How could she say no to that?

"All right, but only if you answer some of my questions. You owe me that." She tried to sound stern.

"Oh, so you ambushed me and now I have to face interrogation questions?" he grinned at her, but Ava could see uncertainty in his eyes for the first time since she knew him.

"That's right and you have no means of escape!"

"Okay, but we can't start the interrogation until the fortune cookies have determined our fate," James replied with a laugh. Ava could hear some tension in his laugh. Was he trying to stall her? What wasn't she allowed to know?

James handed her one of the fortune cookies before she could think about it further.

"So, what does your fate say?", James wanted to know impatiently.

"You first," Ava said, eating half of her fortune cookie.

"Hope is like sugar in tea: even when it's small, it sweetens everything," James quoted the saying on his fortune cookie slip, laughing. Ava couldn't help but laugh along. James' laughter was infectious to Ava and he revealed this honest nature in himself far too rarely.

James regained his composure and looked at Ava expectantly. She shook her head, "I won't tell you what's on my fortune cookie until you answer my questions."

"Alright, what do you want to know so desperately, princess?" Ava's breath caught at the pet name, her mouth immediately feeling dry as dust. She'd probably never get used to the way he emphasized 'princess'. She would love to climb onto his lap and continue the make-out session from the car, but she quickly shook off the thought. She had to take the chance to uncover some of his secrets.

"Do you work at this club?" Ava asked straight out, although she thought she already knew what his answer would be.

"You know I'm a mystery man with a mystery job," he said with a smile, "But no. I don't work at this club." The answer did not satisfy Ava. So why had James had such heated conversations with these men? And where had they disappeared to through that side door?

"Then who were those men you were talking to?" Ava didn't drop the matter just yet.

"None of consequence, and none for you to worry your pretty little head about."

"At least they were more important than saying hello to me," Ava blurted out, instantly regretting saying it. Now he thinks I'm a jealous little girl! Great job.

"No, surely not," James replied sternly. He drew his eyebrows together strained, looking frustrated and annoyed. Ava fell silent, intimidated by his dominant manner and suddenly shifted mood. "I'm sorry, I know those answers aren't exactly satisfying. I would tell you more about my job, but I can't. Just accept that please," James continued in a softer tone.

"Then tell me about Steve. Does he have any skeletons in his closet that I need to know about now that he's dating my best friend?", Ava tried to lighten the tense mood again.

"Not that I know of," James' lips also curled into a smile again. "Steve is every mother-in-law's dream, he's almost boring," James continued theatrically and Ava had to laugh.

"But seriously, he's the best friend anyone could ask for. And a true gentleman, your friend Natasha is a lucky one." Ava saw the vulnerable side of James for the first time. The way he spoke about Steve touched her. He had meant it when he had described Steve as his family. She couldn't help thinking of herself and Natasha and the parallels: She too considered Natasha her family, even if she was lucky enough to still have her mum. James was denied that happiness.

"All right, I'd say you deserve to know what's on my fortune cookie: The knowing don't talk much, the talking don't know much."

Ava hadn't even realised she had fallen asleep until two strong arms lifted her off the sofa. She kept her eyes closed, unsure whether she was dreaming or not. She took a deep breath and the smell of bergamot hit her nose – lemony freshness with a hint of spice. James, her subconscious squeaked and she couldn't help smiling. She was carefully placed on her mattress. She would have preferred to wrap both arms tightly around his neck, never to be released from his strong arms again, but she was too tired to give her body any orders. She felt herself being gently tucked in and soft lips placed a kiss on her forehead. Then the smell disappeared from her nose.

Ava opened her eyes just a tiny crack and saw James slipping quietly through her dark flat. Only her small kitchen light revealed a good view of James' muscular figure. Her eyelids were too heavy, too exhausted to stay up any longer and she listened to his soft footsteps until she heard the front door squeak open and sleep regained full control.

The loud alarm clock jolted Ava out of her dream world. Disoriented, she blinked at the light shining through her window. She searched for the jamming device with her hand and switched off the alarm clock. Her quiet morning ended abruptly as memories of last night came flooding back. All at once Ava sat up in her bed and looked searchingly over to her sofa. It was empty, the pillows neatly fluffed, the blanket folded just as Ava had left it. She turned her gaze to the front, but her small kitchen also seemed empty. Disappointment spread through her. She had hoped James would stay with her, spend the morning with her, they could have had breakfast together. That was what she got for letting him twist her around his finger again. Ava had hoped that James' mixed signals would finally stop, but she no longer needed to indulge in that illusion.

Already her morning was ruined and it wasn't even 7 o'clock yet. With heavy steps she made her way to the bathroom and took a long shower. She fervently hoped that the water would also wash away her thoughts of James, but he had nested in her mind like a parasite.

By the time she had finished putting on her make-up and getting dressed, she didn't even have time for breakfast. That's what she got for taking her time in the shower. With an empty stomach, she walked to the subway and reached her stop after a short while. New day, new luck, Ava tried to cheer herself up before stepping out of the subway station onto the crowded pavement. Determined, she walked towards the editorial building, but before she could cross the street, someone grabbed her by the arm.