Chapter 19

"Welcome to Jim's!", Peter beamed at her. Then he took her hand and pulled her through the crowded pub, past chatting people with beers in their hands, to a small seating area. She wanted to pull her hand away first, this gesture should belong to James alone. But she knew Peter just wanted to make sure she didn't get lost in the crowded pub. There were already people sitting in the small seating area. Ava recognised them, she had seen them all before at the New York Times, but hadn't really spoken to any of them yet.

"Guys, this is Ava!" Ava gave the group a shy smile. Her gaze lingered on a man who had to be the same age as James. He had his wavy hair slicked back and was looking at her with a slimy smile. "Ava, this is Anna, working in the local section," the blonde gave Ava a friendly smile, "April, who works in the secretary's office," April literally beamed at Ava and Ava was sure they would get on well, her short copper red hair reminded her of Natasha, "And Jason, from the sports desk." He still gave her a slimy smile and Ava averted her eyes from him.

Peter sat down next to Anna and pulled Ava next to him. Only when they were both seated he let go of her hand.

"First round is on me!" Jason announced loudly, "We must give the new girl a proper welcome!" Ava didn't like him calling her "the new girl". She looked over at April, who also seemed less than thrilled with Jason's choice of words. Maybe she didn't like Jason in general.

Jason returned with the beer after what felt like an eternity and Ava gratefully took a big gulp. If he was going to look at her with that awful smile of his all evening, she was going to have to down a few more beers. His presence made her uneasy, something about this guy bothered her.

April and Anna asked Ava a lot of questions about her student days and how she liked it so far at the New York Times. Ava was glad she had come along. For the first time, she could really talk to her colleagues and get valuable tips. Anna advised her to keep her hands off Taco Tuesday in the canteen, but it was already too late for that. The stomach ache Ava had had the next day was almost unbearable. Since then, she avoided the canteen on Tuesdays.

"How about a game of pool, girls?" Jason asked the group, giving Ava his greasy smile again as he rested his arms right and left on the back of the red leather seat. Thank goodness Anna and April are sitting next to him, Ava thought. Anna didn't seem to mind Jason's posturing as much as April, who slid a little to the side to avoid Jason's arm.

"I'm in!" exclaimed Anna immediately, giggling.

"Ava?" Jason asked, not paying much attention to Anna's cry of delight. Ava looked nervously over at April. Her gut told her not to go with Jason. She didn't want to either, after all, she was here with Peter.

"I'm coming with you!" April said after looking at Ava. She stood up and Jason and Anna followed her through the pub to the pool table. Ava gave April a grateful smile. Now she was alone with Peter, which made her a little nervous.

"So, tell me about your research! I want all the details," he beamed at her and she could see serious interest in his eyes.

Ava told him everything from her first observation tour with Natasha, the bad photo of her stranger, to her contact with a conspiracy theorist and a hacker. Peter was quite impressed and wished her good luck for her further research. He encouraged her that her story could turn out really well.

A few beers later, April, Jason and Anna reappeared at the table. April walked ahead and Jason and Anna followed her arm in arm. Anna seemed to be glued to Jason's lips, laughing at everything he was saying. To Ava she almost seemed like a schoolgirl in love and she wondered if she looked the same talking to James. She fervently hoped that wasn't the case.

Checking her phone, she realised it was already after 1 am. "I'd better get going," Ava said as she stood up and sorted her bag. Peter was immediately beside her and gave her a warm smile.

"Do you want me to walk you home?"

"No, thank you, enjoy your evening." Peter was really nice to her and she was glad to have spent her evening like this instead of worrying about why James hadn't texted her all day. She said goodbye to the group and fought her way through the crowd to get outside, where the crisp summer air hit her. She hadn't realised how much she had actually drunk. Only now did she feel the effect of the beers and she stopped for a moment on the pavement. She had to take the underground to get to her flat, but Natasha's flat was close by. She could run there and see if she was home. Then she could also finally tell her about her night with James and ask about the murder Natasha had been called to on the night of their double date. She missed her best friend.

Ava made her way to Natasha's flat. The streets were brightly lit and there were still many people out. She stopped at a traffic light to cross to the other side of the street. The large apartment complex where Natasha lived already stretched out in front of her. Her eyes wandered from the building to the street in front of it and stopped on a man. Ava's heart skipped a beat. James was walking along the other side of the street, as always he had a serious expression on his face. Ava considered calling his name, but felt stupid. Next to her, a couple was also waiting for the light to turn green and she didn't want to make an ass of herself. Her gaze followed his quick step. Abruptly, he stopped in front of Natasha's building. The smile faded from Ava's face. He seemed to be ringing someone's bell and waited outside the door for a moment before being let in. Ava's heart sank in her stomach. What did this mean? Did he know someone who lived in Natasha's building? Or did he perhaps live there himself? But surely Natasha would have told her that, wouldn't she? She felt a tugging in her chest area. The euphoria from the alcohol and the sight of James disappeared and she stopped at the traffic lights, even though they turned green.

Someone jostled her to get through the lights. Ava shook her head and regained her composure. She should go home and sleep it off, she couldn't think straight in this state.