17

Jim knew there had to be some other way to defeat this bastard.

There has to be!

The halls were stained with dry blood as the captain made his way to his quarters. It was quieter, leaving anyone to feel as if they were the only ones on the entire ship. The feeling was scary, Jim admitted. Every hall seemed completely empty; he felt empty. The only feelings left in him as of now were loneliness, and fear—fear of losing the most important piece of him.

With that thought in mind, footsteps sounded from behind him.

"Captain, are you all right?"

"Yes, Spock." Jim replied. "Why?"

"Just now I had called you three times." The Vulcan immediately fell in step with his commanding officer, hands held behind his back like usual.

Jim sighs. "Sorry, I— I'm just feeling stressed out, that's all."

Spock merely nodded. "That is understandable—stress is catching up to every one of us."

"Even you, Spock?"

"As much as I do not allow it to surface much to show to the eyes of many, yes," Spock let out a brief sigh, "I am also stressed."

Jim's lip quirked up slightly before falling back into its previous frown. Not much of anything could lighten him; to ease away the straining thoughts of all that's happened. He could tell that his stress lines were becoming more obvious the more he frowned and furrowed his brows.

"What's our estimated arrival?" He then asked.

"Fourteen hours, three minutes, and fifty-eight point seven seconds," Spock replied.

Jim's lip curled up into a real, small smile this time. "Mr. Spock, you never cease to amaze me." Spock's eyes seemed to shine at Jim's words.

"Is there any other news you needed to tell me?"

The Vulcan nodded, and pulled his PADD out from behind his back. "Miss Wolfe has informed me of some unexpected news: Apparently, she and Doctor McCoy have the ability to heal." His voice then became a little hushed. "After she woke up from her coma, she came specifically to me and informed me that her abilities 'are dying'—she cannot heal as fast as she did before."

Jim stopped altogether. Realization dawned on him as he knew what was to become. "You mean... Benny and Bones won't have they're abilities anymore?"

"Yes, Captain, they are slowly becoming human."

This should be good news! ...Right? If it is good news, why was Jim feeling as if it were bad?

Slowly, he said, "So you're saying that... if Bones isn't careful, then he'll...." Jim didn't need to finish the sentence for Spock to give him the knowing look. Spock silently nodded in conformation.

"Jim," Spock's voice was gentle, "I endeavor to help as much as I can, and to be there for you as your friend."

Both men stopped walking and faced each other. Spock held his hand up in ta'al. "I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

Jim, in return, held up his own hand in ta'al. "Thanks, Spock. I really needed to hear that." He softly said. Spock nodded to him once more before turning on his heel, and headed for the bridge. Jim was left to his own thoughts again, this time with something new to think about.

And judging by what Spock said—"She specifically came to me"—Leonard probably doesn't know.

As he continued through the unfamiliar halls of the Jackdaw, Jim could not seem to find his way to his quarters. (It was especially difficult with the swirling thoughts in his mind.) It was as if he were in a cornfield back in Iowa—many twists and turns that you can't find your way anywhere. After ten more minutes of walking he came across Medbay.