1.27 betty

houston tx
april 2009

"I've actually kind of missed the rain," Ellie muses, staring out of the window.

"I thought everyone from England was supposed to hate the rain," Awsten laughs, glancing over to her, and she shoots him a lighthearted glare in response.

"I like the sound of it," she closes her eyes softly, leaning her head against the window.

Awsten knows he should be concentrating on the road— he's a very safe driver, he knows that. But, he's finding it more difficult than anticipated to stay focused, as his gaze drifts to Ellie.

His eyes ache to be glued to her and he wishes he could take a mental picture of his view right now.

She looks so casual and comfortable. He's honoured that she feels like she can be like that around him.

She's still wearing his hoodie; curled up in his passenger seat, as if she's claimed it as her own, whilst staring out at the gloomy weather.

He only looks away when she turns to him.

Awsten clears his throat, attempting to play it off, nonchalantly, hoping that she didn't catch him.

"Well, it's the start of rainy season here," he speaks up, straightening out his tone to remain casual, "so, you can get used to it."

"How long does rainy season last?" Ellie asks, curiously.

"From April until like, September or October-ish," Awsten answers. "I almost forgot, you get to experience your first full year in Houston this year," he adds, with a smile.

"I know," Ellie returns the same expression. "It feels nice. I think my mum was right."

Awsten is a little surprised at the mention of her mother. It's been weeks since she's brought her up, unprovoked.

"Right about what?" He questions, carefully.

"In her letter, she said that she didn't want to drag me away from Houston, because I seem to like it more than anywhere else we've moved to," Ellie replies. "She asked me if Houston is home for me now," she adds, before stopping for a short pause.

"Is it?" Awsten presses, gently, as he looks over to her, pulling the car up outside of her house.

"Yeah," Ellie smiles softly, as she meets his yes, and the car comes to a stop. "I think it is."

Awsten doesn't know why that makes him blush, but it does. It makes him feel warm all over.

Maybe it's the eye contact, her gentle smile, or the softness of her voice— but he has to shake it off, before he begins getting out of the car.

He notices Ellie reaching for her own door handle and he an odd noise leaves his mouth in protest.

"What was that?" Ellie laughs at him.

"Don't!" Awsten warns and she slowly takes her hand away from the door.

He quickly jumps out, walks around the car and opens the door for her.