Chapter 7 Murky thoughts

You know how when you realize you've made a mistake and must work to fix it, you put in every effort possible.

Yeah. That feeling.

Standing in our bedroom, looking at the photo behind our bedpost,that feeling only intensifies. I can't even complain because Luca did come after me. That knowledge makes me feel like a complete and utter moron.An imbecile. Here I have a guy who would move heaven and earth to make me happy and all I did was break his heart. Do I even deserve him?

Trying to be an ideal person has its own set of problems. Mom never mentioned how difficult it would be. Why didn't she mention it?

Flashback

"Zara, sweetie can you come in here for a minute."

I grin at my mother's angelic voice and run into her room, knocking before I enter.

"Yes maa, did you need something? Me and Ana were getting ready to go the mall. Apparently I need a new look.", I giggled as I sat down on her bedside.

My giggles turned to a frown as I noticed her pallor.She looked unwell. I asked her if she wished for me to call the family doctor.

"Zara, I need you to listen to me very quietly. Don't speak. Please hun."

I nodded not wanting to cause my mother any distress.

"When I married your father, it was out of love.", she began.

"But you hated pa when you met him. You said so yourself.", I mentally smacked myself for interrupting her.

"Hush. When I married your dad, it was out of love. Love for my own father and respect for his dying father. We were old family friends. All Winterburn Senior ever wanted was to see his only son get settled in life. I won't lie. Your father was as bad as they come. A flirt, a womaniser and most of all an egoistic prick!".

We both started laughing as soon as she said that. Wiping her tears, I nodded at her to continue.

"But the one thing he was not was a liar. And for that I will forever be grateful. He always said it the way it was. I did hate him. His actions went against my moral principles. But sometimes, if you are lucky, there will come a moment in life where you will have the choice to make a sacrifice. It is something that only a child can do. To give up your choice, your dreams to fulfil your parents's dream. To be able to give them that support that they were able to give us as children. Zara, what I am saying is that no matter what happens today, tomorrow or 10 years from now, remember to always be the best you can be. As a person, never lose
sight of what is more important. Family trumps every other thing in this world. If there ever comes a time when you have to choose between your desires and your family, choose family. It will bring you happiness. You may not know it then but eventually you will realise it."

Present

I thought back to my mother's advice and fought off the tears. I could not believe what my life had turned out to be. Ana was after the company and not my husband, my husband just wanted me back in his arms and now I had to once again decide what it was I wanted to do. 

I couldn't leave now. I knew Luca had questions for me. One phone call to my lawyer confirmed my suspicions. Things at Winterburn manor were not the same any more. My brother, though working at the Enterprise was not in control. The board has been patiently awaiting my return, at the behest of my husband who refused to believe that I would leave him. 

I now had to figure out how to sort out this mess. 

I walked over to the closet and peered inside, amazed to see that everything of mine was left untouched. I gasped softy as I found my wedding band and engagement ring lying on the dresser, patiently awaiting my return. Even though I wanted to, I couldn't put them on. Not without clearing the air between me and Luca. 

I heard the bell ring and went to answer the door. I looked through the peephole and couldn't see anyone. Frowning, I opened the door and looked sideways, my gaze dropping to the box on the porch, addressed to...me?