Chapter 6 Bottomless Pit

When you fall in love, you experience a tirade of emotions. I went through a similar experience. I fell in love with Luca Donatello. Our love story began as a business arrangement, typical for wealthy families. I could consider myself to be lucky but that would be a lie. Loving Luca was not difficult, but leaving him tore me apart. The constant guilt that ate at my soul was a pill I had chosen to swallow. Fulfilling a pledge I had once given my ailing father proved to be a blessing and a curse.

I never thought I would fall in love with my husband. Well ex husband now. I never expected him to love me so deeply. To treasure me with such passion. To caress my soul with such warmth. But he did. But my walk down memory lane was interrupted by my sister's rant. 

I sighed and looked at her.

"Ana, I left. 11 months ago. How can you blame me for your failure? I tore him apart. I broke my pledge to father. I left the love of my life. If Luca does not want you how is that my fault?"

She sneered at me and replied, "You think I want your pathetic husband? All he did while you were gone was whine. It was sickening to watch him really. And to pretend that I actually cared! I do not want Luca Donatello. I want the Winterburn Enterprise! It is rightfully mine. Yet the bloody board refuses to let me have it. You did not fulfill your promise Zara. You vowed to and over your heart to me. Yet the company is not in my name!"

I looked at her in shock. 

"You think that Winterburn Enterprise is my heart Ana? Luca is my heart. When you asked for my heart, I thought you meant him. After what happened with Louis, I didn't want to be the reason for your unhappiness. I never imagined that you would be even remotely interested in the company. Besides, once the CEO leaves without notice, a new head is appointed within 3 months. How and why you were  not named as the new CEO escapes me."

I was indeed quite stunned by her revelation. The chain of command had been broken. But now I knew what my sister was after. But that was one thing I could not give up. I had arranged for the command t be shifted to my brother, knowing full well that Ana would ruin Winterburn Enterprise. But apparently my last order was not carried out. And now I had to deal with this issue.

Never mind being taken away from my newly built life by my one true love. I was thrown head first into a bottomless pit. Memories and promises of my past came to my mind, making me realize my utter stupidity and recklessness. 

Sometimes being noble is not the best course of action. This was one lesson I had learnt the hard way.