Chapter Five

"And if I ever turned back to a real boy, I'd jump off the house and say, chicken noodle doo! And then I'd hug Hunter and hug you, daddy, and find Honeydew and show her that I'm real again, but it won't happen because I will stay a cheese-haired t...

"And if I ever turned back to a real boy, I'd jump off the house and say, chicken noodle doo! And then I'd hug Hunter and hug you, daddy, and find Honeydew and show her that I'm real again, but it won't happen because I will stay a cheese-haired turtle," Jace finished his long explanation about a very random topic.

Beau hummed and nodded at the boy. "That's good, buddy. But I don't think jumpin off the roof would help," He said and grabbed a napkin to wipe the fallen oatmeal off his chin.

"Oh! Ok!" Jace scratched his head and then reached across the table to hold Hunter's hand. "Daddy, I want you and Honeydew to get married right now and she can live with us!"

His words surprised Beau. This was his first time speaking about Honeydew living with them, but Beau was proud because it meant that Jace was slowly, but surely understanding how the marriage would work.

Hunter shook his head in opposition. "I-i'm not sure it should happen so soon, what if she turns into a psycho stepmother?" He said with a cautious look in his eyes.

And here Beau thought Hunter was over his reservations towards Honeydew.

One step forward sent Hunter two steps backward.

Jace gasped and smacked his hands on the table. "Wait! I get a mommy if you get married? I didn't even know that, did she give birth to me without me knowing?" He smiled and stared at Beau anticipating an answer.

Beau chuckled at his wild assumption, though it was fitting for him, and he shot Hunter a look telling him to hush with his paranoia around Jace.

"When we get married, Honeydew will be my wife and your stepmother. That doesn't mean that she's the one who gave birth to you, but she will be a mother who stepped into our lives to care for you both." Beau tried to explain the concept to both boys in a way that wouldn't make Hunter upset, but wouldn't further confuse Jace.

And by the swoon Jace gave and the small smile Hunter cracked, it seemed to work.

By the grace of God.

"I wanna hear more about Honeydew and you, daddy! It's like a stupid story that I like," Jace insisted and scooped some oatmeal into his mouth.

"Would we maybe get an extra sibling?" Hunter asked meekly, his cheeks tinted red.

Beau sent a silent 'thank you' to the Lord for the openness of his boys. This was something he didn't expect to happen so soon.

He smiled at his boys and tried to think of an angle to start.

Love.

"I love Honeydew, everything about her is beautiful. And she loves you two, she cares about everyone. I know that from the way she's treated you two, she'll be a great mother to you and our future children,"

Jace's oatmeal-filled cheeks turned red and he rested his head on the table. His eyes filled with joy.

It was precious.