Leave for the Better

Third Person's POV

The battle ended. When Lee fought with Kimimaro, Gaara caught up and aided him in the fight. They were able to take him down and as they rested, Baki showed up with a Jonin from Konoha. The Jonin supported Lee who was injured while Baki tended to Gaara.
"I'm fine" Gaara insisted. Baki raised a brow at him, he studied Gaara one more time then turned to the Konoha Jonin,
"We're alright here" he reported, the Konoha Jonin nodded as he held Lee
"Alright, let's report back to Hokage-sama" he said as he leapt towards Konohagakure, Baki turned to follow but stopped because Gaara looked the other way.
"What's the matter Gaara-sama?" he asked as he walked to him. Gaara closed his eyes as he thought, trying to reach out to a certain someone. 'Naruto! Are you okay?' he thought, but there was no answer. He tried again and again but there was still no response. In his mindscape, Shukaku only huffed.

"He can't hear you. The bastard fox and his host are too far" Shukaku said. Gaara frowned at the tanuki.
"Gaara-sama?" he heard Baki call his name again. He snapped back to reality as he looked at the distance,
"Baki, there's something I have to do" Gaara said as he was about to take a step forward but Baki stopped him.
"I regret to inform you Gaara-sama, but we have to go back. We were only ordered to aid the Konoha Genin and report back afterwards" Baki said as Gaara furrowed his brows. He was about to protest when Baki spoke,
"We have to go. Once we report to Hokage-sama we are to return to Sunagakure immediately. That was what we agreed" he said sternly but with respect. Gaara only clenched his fist as he sighed,
"Fine. We'll go back" he said turning to Baki, he glanced the other way once more in worry but returned to his normal expression as he leaped towards Konoha.

Naruto was exhausted from the battles he had today. He heaved as he carried the Uchiha over his shoulder. His wounds slowly healing, a perk from being a Jinchūriki. He knows well that jumping from branch to branch would take him back to the village faster but doing so would tire him more. Half way, he jumped from tree to tree while the rest of the path he walked. He looked up at the sun that was covered by clouds once in a while, he could only sigh, he didn't know what time it is but judging from the heat he felt it was past noon. Aside from the subtle winds that passed, the trees and bushes rustling with it and the birds chirping, it was awfully quiet. Especially since the large fox that would often lecture him about what he did in battle, was asleep. Because Naruto told him so. He'd sometimes drift in and out of his mindscape to check on the red-orange fox who slept peacefully, he smiled at this. He too would love to rest for a while but he felt like he needed to hurry back to the village. So with great determination to go home, he tightened his grip on the Uchiha and quicken his pace.

-Somewhere in Konoha-

In the deepest part of Konoha, there stood an old man. Half his face and his right arm heavily bandaged, an X mark scar on his chin. He held a cane on his left to support his body as he walked. This was Shimura Danzo, a shady man in charge of the dark deeds in Konoha. He entered his office lit by a single candle, before he sat down on his chair two silhouettes appeared beyond the paper-covered door kneeling on one knee.
"Danzo-sama, we have arrived" one of the two said
"Report your findings" Danzo said without even turning to look at them
"Yes sir. We have confirmed the goal of the organization Akatsuki, they are to capture every Jinchūriki from the different villages. They are after the Bijū inside them. What they'll do with them is unknown" one reported, Danzo stayed silent as he pondered on the report. He 'hmm' for a bit then spoke,
"I see..." he then turned to the two silhouettes.
"Find Konoha's Jinchūriki Uzumaki Naruto and bring him to me at once" Danzo ordered, the two silhouettes bowed their heads and shunshined away.

-Back to Naruto-

'I'm almost there!' he thought excitedly. All of his wounds are healed, both the Uchiha and the Bijū are asleep, and returning with Sasuke made him think of events that he hoped would happen. The villagers would acknowledge him, other Shinobi would praise him, and maybe Sakura would start noticing him more. He imagined these events with a grin as he skipped a bit but stopped himself for he was still tired.