Chapter 3

Daniel finishes up cleaning and takes a sip of his wine.

"So, how has life been Emily?" he smirks. I pull a face at him.

"Why do you care?". Daniel shrugs.

"We're here for a few nights and I want someone to talk to, that isn't two year old's who can't properly say either of our names". I smile and take a sip of my wine.

"Any love interests?" he brings up. I look at him and shake my head.

"No Daniel. I wanted to be with Aiden and since I can't then I guess I'll be by myself" I smile. Daniel looks away.

"I proposed to Sara last year" he brings up.

"So I have slightly heard from the girls. For two weeks straight all they would say was daddy's getting married". Daniel laughs.

"Yeah but Sara broke it off a few months later. We got back together but you know".

"How many times have you two broken up?" I ask. Daniel smiles to himself.

"Three times now".

"That's a red flag" I smile and grab the bottle of wine. Daniel laughs.

"We broke up twice". I laugh.

"And look where we are now" I say, refilling both of our glasses. I sit back down and run my finger around the rim of the glass.

"Aiden never proposed again but I wore the ring and he knew it. I guess once we got back together we went straight back to being fiancés" I laugh. Daniel looks at me confused.

"When did you guys break up?" he asks.

"After your mother said I was sterile. It took a toll on us both. But, we got back together after I had recovered" I reply.

"Sara broke up with me all three times," Daniel laughs.

"Yet she always came back" I smile.

"Aiden broke it off with me twice and I broke it off once, the engagement one". Daniel nods and drinks his wine. I do the same and sigh.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring Aiden back up" he mumbles. I smile.

"It's ok, it's been a year and a half. I'm alright to talk about him". Daniel half smiles.

"So, are you and Sara still engaged or?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood. Daniel shrugs.

"I guess so, like you, she is still wearing the ring". He looks away. I could tell he wasn't telling me something but it wasn't any of my business. Daniel tops our glasses up again.

"God, I don't think I've drunk this much since the girls were born" I laugh. We were on our third glass and it was starting to show.

"I have, having kids in the same house as everyone is stressful" he laughs. I hadn't ever thought of who was living in Grayson Manor when the girls were younger. They were there with Victoria and Charlotte and whoever else lived there. Luckily he moved out with Sara early last year.

--------------------------------

Two hours of talking and we had already gotten through another bottle of wine. I was never a heavy drinker so drinking like eight glasses was weird and new to me.

"Ok Daniel, no more" I say, grabbing his glass and attempting to not trip over. Daniel laughs. 

"You are so drunk. Emily you are such a lightweight". Daniel genuinely seemed fine.

"Actually, a light weight is under five drinks, we had eight" I laugh. Daniel gets us another plate full of dinner.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask as he sits one in front of me.

"If you don't want to puke all night, eat it. Trust me" he says, taking in a big bite of food.

"Why would I trust you?" I laugh. Daniel and I both eat the food and soon enough our energy level has dropped to the ground. I yawn.

"I am so tired". Daniel puts a piece of my hair behind my ear and smirks.

"Don't touch me" I roll my eyes. Daniel and I get up.

"I'm going to check on the girls" I say, heading to their room. As I head down the hall I can feel the room temperature drop. It must be freezing in their room. I was right. Their room was freezing cold, even their faces were cool to the touch. I stand outside their door and call Daniel. 

"They're sleeping in your room tonight, it is way too cold for them in here" I say as he walks past me into the room. Daniel nods and gently picks Violet up out of bed. I do the same to Faith. We quietly carry them to Daniel's room and tuck them in on either side.

"Where am I supposed to sleep?" he whispers. I shrug my shoulders and smile.

"The floor?" I quietly laugh.

"Uh uh, no. I'm sleeping on the couch too" he says, grabbing his blanket and pillow.

"Oh hell no" I laugh racing to the couch. Daniel chases me and leaps onto the couch just before me. He goes to one of the corners.

"Look there is room for both of us" he smiles. I shake my head and smile. I sit on the other side and wrap myself in my blanket. It really had gotten a lot colder in the last ten minutes.