Chapter 2

I go outside into the freezing cold.

"Dinner is ready soon, do you want to bring them in so we can get them bathed and warm," I say to Daniel. He nods and picks up Violet.

"Come on let's go get warm" he says to them both. Faith walks behind Daniel.

"I want to keep playing,'' she says to me on her way past.

"It's getting late though, you can play again tomorrow" I whisper, holding her cold mitten. Her little face lights up.

"Ok then" she smiles. We walk to the bathroom where Daniel is already running the water for the bathtub. I get the girls undressed and go to hang up their wet clothes.

"I'll bathe them if you'll hang my clothes up too" Daniel smirks, taking off his layers.

"You're going to freeze not wearing anything" I roll my eyes and turn my head away.

"I have boxers on, I'll be right," he smirks. I shake my head and hang the clothes up in the living room. I light the wood heater in hopes it will warm the cabin up enough before bed. I grab the girls' dressing gowns from their bags and grab Daniel's from his room.

"Put that on before you get hypothermia" I complain and throw the dressing gown at him. He had just finished up with their baths. I wrap their dressing gowns around them and pick them both up simultaneously.

"Need help?" he asks, tying his gown up.

"You can serve dinner while I get them dressed," I smile and walk to their room. I sit them down on their beds while I go through their bag.

"Did daddy pack your bag?" I ask them. They both nod. He was never good at packing their clothes for when they would come back to my place so I always had to buy them new clothes. 

"You're lucky I packed clothes for the girls," I mumble as I walk past Daniel to my bag. Daniel puts the pot down.

"I did pack clothes," he replies. I sigh.

"Clothes for spring in the Hamptons, not for a winter in a forest". I pull out two fluffy onesies and go back to their bedroom.

"Ok when I get you dressed, go out to Daddy and he'll feed you your dinner" I say to Faith as I put on her onesie and her ugg boots. She smiles at me and races out to the dining room. I put on Violet's onesie and ugg boots and prop her up on my hip and go out too. I sit the girls up on the table and Daniel hands me Violet's bowls to feed her.

---------------------------------

"This would be a lot easier if we had their high chairs" Daniel complains as Faith flicks at the spoon for the sixth time.

"Faith has never liked to be fed by you so I don't think the highchair would help in this situation" I reply, concentrating on feeding Violet. Daniel throws the bowl down.

"I give up," he says, wiping her face and hands and then setting her down on the ground. I clean up Violet and put her empty bowl on top of Faiths.

"Go sit down on the couch and we'll see if the tv works" I say. The girls go and sit down and I grab the remote. Considering being in a forest, the tv reception worked well so I put on the kids channel and sat back down at the table.

"Here you go," Daniel says, handing me my dinner. I yawn and smile.

"Tired?" he asks.

"Daniel, I'm always tired," I laugh.

"I should be tired, I've had them all week," he scoffs. I roll my eyes.

"Ok sure, you can be tired too". We silently eat our dinner and listen to the girls babble on about nonsense. Suddenly it got quiet and all we could hear was the tv playing.

"I think they're asleep," Daniel whispers. I mimic him.

"Oh you reckon?". Daniel smirks and we both walk over to the back of the couch. We were right, they were dead asleep on each other. I go around and gently pick Faith up off of Violet. She stirs a bit but then goes back to sleep on my shoulder. Daniel does the same with Violet and we carry them to their bedroom. It was cool in their room but we were hoping if we kept the door open the heat would continue to make it warmer.

"Goodnight my love" I whisper, kissing Faith on the head and tucking her in tight. Daniel and I switch spots to the other kid.

"Goodnight baby" I kiss Violet on the head too. We walk out of the room and back to the kitchen. Daniel starts to clean up and I pour myself a glass of wine. Daniel laughs and yawns.

"I need one please" he says, pointing at the bottle. I roll my eyes and smile, pouring him a glass.