Chapter 5

I wake up to the sound of little footsteps coming in front of us. I open my eyes slightly to see the girls creeping up on us.

"What are you doing?" Faith whispers in my face.

"I was sleeping bub" I whisper back. Violet goes up to Daniel's face and kisses his nose. He slowly opens his eyes and sees all three of us looking at him.

"I'm so tired," he whispers. I laugh at him and sit up. Faith and Violet sit on his legs.

"Faith mummy and daddy are together" Violet says. I smile and look at Daniel who's beaming back.

"Alright girls, how about we go home and all hang out there" Daniel says sitting up.

"With mummy?" Faith asks. Daniel nods.

"Yes with mummy". The girls smile and nod. Daniel maneuvers his legs out from under the girls and heads to the kitchen. I quickly turn on the tv for the twins and follow him.

"Did I snore?" I laugh. Daniel smiles.

"No it's just too damn cold here". I smile and he pulls me up against his body. He passionately kisses me again.

"Your lips are even cold, please let's just leave" he says going towards his room. I stay back and smile. My brain wouldn't let me love anyone else as soon as Aiden had died, so why was Daniel accepted? He shot me and caused me a long road of recovery and then the first few months of the twins' life he was barely in it. Why? Daniel comes back soon after with his bag already packed. He smiles at me.

"We can go now". I smile back and pick both girls up from the couch and take them to their room to get dressed.

"Mummy?" Faith asks as I do up her little coat

 "Mhm baby" I say.

"Do you like daddy?" she asks. I watch her gaze go up behind me, I knew he was standing there. 

"I do baby" I say, hugging her. Violet jumps on us too. Daniel comes up behind me and kisses the tops of all our heads.

"Ok let's go please, I hate the cold" he says, picking Violet up. I laugh.

"Daniel, you complain more than the girls". Daniel rolls his eyes.

"Oh well".

--------------------

The drive home was almost just as quiet as the way there. The girls were asleep in their seats in the back and Daniel was keeping a close eye on the road and the blizzard had snowed it over a lot more. Daniel gently puts his hand on mine and I look over to him.

"Do you really love me?" I ask. Daniel looks over and smirks.

"I love you to the moon and back". I smile back and hold his hand tighter. After the long drive we finally made it home. Everyone was tired and all Daniel and I wanted to do was sleep, the girls slept the whole way again.

"Leave the bags here we'll get them later" Daniel whispers as we both gently pick a twin up and out of the car. I nod at him and close the door and head up to unlock the house.

"Why aren't we at daddy's?" Violet asks, slowly lifting her head off my shoulder.

"This house is nicer" Daniel says behind me and kisses her head. Violet then slowly falls back to sleep on my shoulder.

"Let's just take them to bed," I whisper. Daniel nods and follows me. He walks around slowly, looking at the details of the house. I realize why, he hasn't been here in years. He hasn't even seen the nursery since Aiden and I decorated it. I gently place down Violet in her bed and Daniel does the same with Faith.

"No wonder they like sleeping here more than at mine" Daniel whispers, gazing around the room. I smile.

"It wasn't all me that did this. Half of these decorations were from my baby shower or from Aiden. He didn't care that they weren't his and he cared for them like they were" I reply. Daniel smiles and pulls me into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for their birth, or your recovery, or the first few months or anything. I'm surprised you even let me see them". I sigh.

"I had a toxic childhood, I didn't want them missing out on their Dad, even if Aiden was here acting as the father figure. Aiden had a toxic childhood too, he didn't want it either, as much as he despised you". Daniel chuckles slightly and holds my hand. I quietly close the door and we go downstairs to the couch. Daniel lays down and I lay down on him again, just like the night before. We were both about to fall asleep again.

"It feels so nice to have you in my arms" he whispers. I smile. "It's nice". Within minutes we were both sound asleep.