Chapter 6

6 weeks later

I wake up with a pounding headache and no sign of Daniel. He didn't usually get up before me. I slowly sit up and walk about to the top of the stairs. I see him sitting on the couch with the twins on either side watching tv. I smile to myself, the girls adored that they didn't have to move houses every week. I go back to my room to fetch my dressing gown when all of a sudden a flow of nausea comes over me. I thought it was just the 2 day old leftovers we had eaten at 1am that had made me sick but when I saw the unopened packet of pads in the top drawer, I knew what it could've been. Quickly I scurry through the bottom drawer looking for the three and a half year old pregnancy tests I had left over from the twins' pregnancy. I look at the expiry date. Only two months away, which meant they were still accurate. I take the test and set the three minute timer on my phone. It felt like the longest three minutes of my life. So long that the alarm made me jump out of my skin.

"Why would I be pregnant?" I whisper to myself. I look in the mirror. I was supposed to be sterile, how could this even be. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in. Slowly I take the test out of the box and immediately see the faint pink second line on the test. I was pregnant. I rub my eyes and check again. The line was becoming more visible. I smile into the mirror. I rush out the door, test in hand, downstairs to Daniel.

"Daniel come here" I say, trying to act subtle in the kitchen.

"What's up?" he asks, looking at me. I try not to grin. He looks at me confused.

"Emily you have a secret, what is it?" he smiles, coming closer.

"Ok so this may not make sense but" I say. I bring the test into his vision.

"I'm pregnant". Daniel looks up at me and back down at the test.

"How? Uhh, how?" he asks, examining it.

"I don't know but" I say, smiling.

"Well that whole thing about 'taking it slow' didn't work did it hey" he laughs. I laugh at him.

"There's going to be three kids in this house," he says, looking at me and setting the test down. I nod and smile again.

"Omg Ems" he says, lifting me up and kissing me.

"We're having another baby" he cries.