4: Invitation

It was morning...

Xander groaned as he felt the sunlight hitting his face. Mel had opened the curtains and walked towards the boy with a smile, she sat on the bed beside Xander and slowly woke him up.

"Young master, it's time to wake up"

"Five more minutes"

Xander whined as Mel chuckled but soon stopped as she remembered what the had happened earlier this morning.

Just an hour ago, she received a letter from the diamond castle. The emperor had invited Xander to his home to have lunch with the family. Mel scoffed as she read the letter thinking how could the emperor invite his son now when he was neglecting him since he was born. But even if she had wanted to express her feelings she couldn't, she was just a mere maid that had to follow her master's orders and if only she could have the chance to scold the emperor and smack his head she would.

Xander was wondering why it suddenly became quiet, he opened his eyes lazily, his eyelashes fluttering, rubbing it slowly. He turned his head to Mel sensing the discomfort on the older one's face. She had a frown on her face as her brows furrowed and eyes dimmed. Xander couldnt help but feel his spine shiver thinking what could possibly made his soft and sweet nanny to look like this? Shrugging of his thoughts, he sat up and held the nanny's hand.

Mel flinched as she felt a small hand on her own, she turned her head seeing the worried eyes of the little one. Her gaze softened and smiled sweetly as she ruffled the silver hair infront of her making it more messy than it was before. Xander pouted at the nanny's action, he held her wrist as he glared at her trying to look at least slightly intimidating which he failed as he looked more like an angry chipmunk.

Mel tried her best to control herself from pinching Xander's cheeks. Looking at the young child glaring at her, eyes squinted, brows furrowed, and lips forming into a little frown. She couldn't help but think that the gods and goddesses must've made him their favorite. In her whole life she had never seen anyone this cute before, even the most talented painter could never capture his highness' beauty. Mel knew that in the future that this cute boy will have many suitors, men or women could easily fall in love at first sight.

If Xander could only hear his nanny's thought, he would be all smug right now thinking 'i know and nobody can beat my beauty even the protagonist'.

"Nanny?" Mel snapped at her own thoughts as she heard a small voice calling out to her, she looked to where the source pf the voice was and saw his highness looking at her, worry and confusion plastered on the boy's face as he still held onto the older one's wrist.

'Ah, i must've spaced out' Mel sighed, she patted Xander's head. "Forgive me your highness for spacing out" she said, retreating her hand from the boys ruffled hair.

Xander frowned even more, hearing the way his nanny talked to him. He still hasn't gotten used to being called 'your highness' or 'young master'. Afterall, in his last life he was not someone that had a very high status, he was only like any other average person so hearing someone call him with so much respect feels too uncomfortable. He had told his nanny Mel to call him by his name, but she refused, she could never 'disrespect' him, a prince. But Xander kept on insisting and so, they both decided that Mel would only call his name when there was no one around.

Mel noticed and asked what was wrong, worry was visibly showed on her face, she thought she did something wrong or maybe angered him because of what happened earlier and was about to apologize again but was stopped.

"Nanny didn't i tell you, stop with the honorifics. You said you would call me by my name when we're alone"

Mel widened her eyes, she smiled hopelessly at the boy in a sulken state. It seemed as she thought too much. This little young master of hers was too forgiving to her despite being a 2 year old boy. Unlike any other noble child, they would throw tantrums with just the slightest mistake from their servant, getting the wrong milk or if they didn't like the clothes their servants prepared since they had always been pampered by their parents when they were not even born yet... And speaking of parents... Mel sighed, she shook her head to make those thoughts disappear, she focused her gaze towards Xander again.

Xander's brows scrunched for the nth time today, although he admits that he sort of used Mel for his own survival he still couldnt contain the worry in his heart. Mel was only one to be there for him since the day he came in this world, she was the only one who truly cared for him that even if he didn't need her, he would still treat her nicely, or maybe just maybe, if he can he would treat her like his own mother. Seeing his nanny like this made him worried, too worried. Xander didn't know why he was like this, it was probably because he wasn't used to seeing Mel like this or he didn't realize it yet that he was already starting to love her like a family.

Xander realized what he thought and sighed, 'i guess it would be fine to have a mother figure if it's Mel'. He focused on his nanny again.

"Then, Xander" Mel said in a very low but soft voice. Xander smiled showing his shiny teeth when he heard his name from Mel. Both talked for an hour before Mel realized what she had forgotten again. She gulped as she clenched her hands readying to tell what she was supposed to tell.

"Uhmm.... Xander?" Mel was nervous that her voice came a bit croaked, her palms were sweaty. Telling Xander about the invitation was easy but not when the boy has only seen his father once, his majesty didn't even visit him on his birth. Although normal children would be curious about their parents if they were in his shoes, Xander never asked about it.

Xander was eating a cookie, he was too lazy to get up from bed so he asked Mel to bring his breakfast, he a bit confuse as to why Mel was nervous he still answered."What is it nanny?"

"This servant forgot to tell Young Master that His Majesty the Emperor invited you for lunch in the main castle" Mel blurted out so fast that no one would understand but someone did. Xander widened his eyes, his cookie fell from his mouth. Although Mel was talking so fast he still heard two words, Emperor and invited.

"WHAT?!"