CHAPTER 14

|PIPER|

The pin felt at home on my blazer pocket, I didn't like it one bit, I didn't like that I felt like myself with this stupid peace of plastic tagged to me. I wish this pin didn't make me. But it does.

When I walk into first period, I see Verity and Lux who sits next to her. "hey, Piper-" she begins before Verity Jumps her sentence. "Looks like you had a relapse." Verity nods towards my pin.

I roll my eyes, going for my seat that was a row away from hers.

I could of came 20 minutes later and as long as I had this pin on no one would of cared. Actually, 20 minutes later Both Killian and Fin walk in. Pins on, smiles on, Mrs. Foster lets it slide.

The favoritism really shows when 5 minutes later a new kid walks in, "And you are?" Mrs. foster questions him. All eyes are on the boy, he fiddles with the schedule in his hand. "Uh, Silas." He answers.

Brown hair, big lips, beautiful puppy eyes, Silas smiles. "is this Econ?" He asks. "Yes it is, and mister if you expect to pass this class, I trust you'll be making it on time from here on out." mrs. foster shoots before suggesting he take a seat.

I look to the seat next to mine, it's empty and it has been since the first day of school. It's Lucas's seat but he doesn't do classes, no since he became a big shot. So I don't hesitate when Silas sits down right there.

This isn't like last year, when Samuel Downy sat there and Lucas basically promise to rip the guy a new ass if he ever sat in that seat again. This was a new year, and Lucas no longer needed a seat next to me.

But a part of me prayed that today wouldn't be the day Lucas finally decided to start coming back to class because I think it's common knowledge that Lucas is a man of tradition. He wouldn't care that Silas was new, just that what's his is his.

After class, which Lucas never came to, Lux caught up with me. "Hey, i-" she begins before Verity hooks arms with her. "C'mon, Lux. We can't be late." She drags lux off.

Verity and I had history, if it wasn't clear. My second period is in the west wing of the school, it's a walk and because I'm wearing this pin, I take my sweet time.

"hey, hey excuse me." Silas rushes to my side.
I look at him, quickly. "Hi." I spit out just quickly, "I'm sorry to bother you-" he begins. "You're not bothering me." I confess. Maybe a little to desperate, I was running low on friends this year and didn't mind the new face.

"Uhm, my roommate's apart of that club," he points to my pen, "he told me that if I needed help with anything, to find someone with this pin on and they'd help." He explains. I look down at the pin, opening and closing my mouth. "Right, uh... The welcome committee." I lie.

"Yea, I guess. Can you show me to Mr. Paulson's?" He asks. I nod, "yea." I say.

"So, where you from?" I ask as we walk. "Montana." He answers. I knit my eyebrows together without realizing I had, "I know, it's no New York but it's not so bad." He laughs.

A small laugh, the most adorable laugh, the best darn laugh I've ever heard, leaves his lips.

The sound alone makes me smile a little.

"No, right of course. It's just that not a lot of people around here are from Montana." I offer. "What do your parents do?" I ask. "Their Baker's." He says. "Like, they own a chain of bakeries, that's cool-" I begin. "No, they don't own bakeries, they work at a bakery. One bakery. In Montana."he offers up.

My eyebrows a knitted together again, "I'm here on scholarship." He says easily.

"If you don't want to be seen with me-" he begins. I realize I had looked so disappointed, I quickly change up my face and put a smile on. "No, no, its fine. I don't care." I say.