Special Day

January. The month in which I was born. January 16, to be exact. That was the date of my birth. Whenever someone's birthday is approaching, people celebrate it in a variety of ways, including throwing a big party, having a small get-together with family and friends, celebrating alone, or not celebrating it at all.

In my occasion, I believe it is always necessary to celebrate my birthday. My parents try their hardest to make it a huge celebration because I'm the only child in the family, but I've encouraged them to tone down the grand style as I got older. The thing about celebrating your birthmonth is realizing how blessed you are to be able to spend it with the people you care about. I'm grateful that I get to share it with the people that mean the most to me.

I always look forward to celebrating my birthday not because it's my celebration and I should brag about it. It's because on that particular day, I met the love of my life. Every vivid detail of how we first met and interacted with each other was still fresh in my mind.

It was my fifth birthday when it happened. I was very aware of what was going on around me. I remember waking up that day with my mother holding a cake with a candle lit on it, and my father was wearing a birthday cap on his head. I couldn't stop the smile from my face and the happy tears that fell down on my face. Embracing both of them with all my might and expressing my deep gratitude of how lucky I am to be their daughter.

The rest of the morning was spent preparing for the celebration, which kept both of my parents extremely busy. Though I would prefer to spend my morning with them, I understand that they want this celebration to go off without a mishap for me, and I appreciate their efforts. And because I didn't want to sit around and do nothing, I ended up assisting my mother with her preparations following my pleadings and the sweet puppy faces I made, which, by the way, worked. Of course, only the light tasks that are appropriate for a young child, and I was pleased with the outcome.

The party then started at night with the rest of my family members present and a few family friends which I'm familiar of especially two people around my age who squeezed the life out of me with their loving and tight hugs. Kissing both of their cheeks and resiprocating the hugs back, I thanked them for being present on my birthday.

The three of us then proceeded to the food-laden table. I began trailing my hands to where the mandu are placed while the other two were busy squabbling about who got the plate first, but my hunt came to an end when I softly collided into someone smaller than me. Her bright, innocent eyes met mine, and I found myself lost in her look before realizing we were both still sitting on the ground.

I stood up, giggling to myself, before assisting the other lovely kid to her feet. As I was dusting my outfit for dirt, I was surprised to see a tiny towel handed to me. I looked at her questioningly and she only gave me the warmest smile that automatically made me let out a gummy smile. Accepting the smooth cloth, I couldn't help but ask a tiny favor.

"Thank you so much, little one. Sorry about that bump, I'm a bit clumsy sometimes. Oh and welcome to my party. What's your name? Can I pinch your cheeks? Can we be friends, cutie?"

Okay, so it wasn't really a small favor, but I can't be held responsible for anything. When I see someone as adorable as her, I can't help but ask those daring questions. Luckily, it didn't scare her and she answered all three questions without any malice.

Learning her name, me pinching her soft cheeks and her agreeing to be friends with me made me forget that I still have a candle to blow and a cake to cut. Not long after, people began singing the song and I closed my eyes afterwards to silently say my wish. My wish was to be like this, cheerful and carefree, but I also included another wish.

Wanna know what my wish was?

'I wish I'll get to see her more and that she'll be present for my birthdays in the next years.'