Same the First Time, Different the Second

Sarvente and Ruv both got up from the loveseat and leisurely walked out of the library to get to Selever. They walked the dark halls as the cloudy, gloomy, frost tinted windows let a minimal amount of white, lustrous light to illuminate certain sections of the floor. They slowly stepped up the stairs upon them, the atmosphere around them growing darker. The hallway was it's own show of portraits. Walls going from the the soft, innocent pink of Sarvente to the mysterious mixtures of gray, cyan, and black of Rasazy. Sarv stopped to study a broad painting of Selever. In the painting, the flaws were flawless. The highlights never glowed. The unclear features were sharp to the eye. Ruv came back for Sarvente, not seeing the same things she did.

"Come on." He said.

"R-right. I'm sorry." She said.

Sarvente snapped out of her own mind. Selever's bedroom was adjacent to the painting, in which somehow gave her a sick feeling to the stomach, but she was confused why she was feeling what she was feeling. Ruv finally had some attention to Sarv's distressed and on edge behavior.

"Are you alright?" Ruv asked.

"I- um...I'm ok. Really." Sarv said.

Sarvente ignored her sick feeling and gently knocked on Selever's bedroom door.

No answer.

Ruv knocked the door harder. It took them a few moments to wait before Selever spoke.

"What do you want now, bitches?" Selever groaned. Little did his parents know he was broken on the inside, crying on his bed.

"Um-...sweetheart....it's mom. Can I come in to talk with you? Please?"

"What the fuck kind of question is that?! No! You can't come in!" Selever yelled. "Aren't you busy....I don't know....planning my punishments or something?!"

"Selever-" She said.

"Leave me alone."

Sarv puts her hand on the bedroom doorknob, stops, hesitates, sweats at her head and hands, and looks at Ruv. He looks at Sarv worried, Sarv actually seeing the worried look on his face. He shrugged.

"We're very sorry." She said.

Nothing but muffled crying.

"I- I'm serious. Your father wishes to apologize as well.

Ruv closed his eyes and came to the door.

"Son. It's true. I'm-"

"PLEASE!" Selever interrupted, causing Sarv to jerk her hand away from the door. "Just go!...I just....want to be alone.....just go away."

"O-ok Sel. We'll go." She said coldly.

They both slowly backed away from the bedroom door and walked down the hallway the same way they came. Sarvente felt her sick feeling spike again, experiencing how unfamiliar the way back downstairs was. She stopped to look at the painting again, but this time, the flaws were indeed flawed, the highlights actually glowed, the sharp features were unclear. Sickness became lightheadedness. She glanced away and kept walking, her sense of gravity was off, having the feeling to just fall without the feel of hitting the ground, each step was something or someone else controlling her. Sarvente leaned against the wall to have a minute. She soon realized after she gathered every thought she could and put them together that Sarv saw what Ruv saw. She was in denial. Slight denial.