Chapter 38: The Little One

Until the phone rang........

————————————————————

POV Maya:

I looked at Carina and told everyone that I would be right back. So I went onto the porch to take the call, "Hello this is Captain Maya Deluca-Bishop speaking?" "Hi Captain Deluca-Bishop, this is Riley Callaway. I was calling about this placement that you and your wife would be interested in? Seeing that you are still registered foster parents." Riley, on the other side of the phone, expressed. "Um yes, could I go get my wife really quick?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am, I will be here when you call back." She said and then hung up the phone.

I walked back into the living room and to everyone. "Everything good Maya." Travis asks while I ran in quickly. Hope had managed to fall asleep during the short time I was away taking the life changing call. "Yeah everything is great, I just need to see my wife really quickly out on the porch." I claimed while taking her hand and walking out to the porch once more.

"Bambina, what is so urgent and private that we have to come out here for?" Carina asks, confused. "Just trust me and let her explain." I advised. I then whipped my phone back out and dialed the number. The phone rang for a few seconds and then she picked up, "Hi Captain Deluca-Bishop. I'm assuming your wife is with you now?" She guessed.

"Yes she is sitting next to me." I replied.

"Ok, We have this little boy who is four, named Ezekiel and we were wondering if y'all would take him temporarily? Just until we can find a permanent living place for him?" Riley finished explaining to us. "Um that sounds great but before we come up with the decision, we would like to talk this over with our daughter. Who has recently come home from the hospital which was the result of a CF flare up." Carina interjected before I could speak.

"Alright call me back when yall have come to an answer, I hope to hear from you soon!" Riley says and then hangs up the phone.

We both sat there with the phone on the porch table in front of us and playing with each other's hand. Waiting for the other to say something. "I think we should do it." I interrupted the ever growing silence. "I was thinking the same thing but a part of me is concerned about how Hope would react." Carina cautioned, not knowing Hope's stance on the matter.

A few more minutes pass and then we went back inside. Everyone was talking and then just stopped when we walked in.

"What was the call about?" My mom asked, seeing we were gone from 20 minutes and still holding Hope who was still sleeping. "Um, something came up that required the both of us." I said dodging the question. My mom nodded her head knowing not to press any further. The call came around 7 and we all talked late into the night until it was 11 o'clock.

"Do yall want to stay the night? I mean we have the extra guest room and then the living room has space. Mom you could sleep in Hope's room and she could sleep with us. I just put on new sheets when you were cooking us breakfast." I offered it to everyone.

Everyone happily took us up on our offer and everyone spread out in our house. Luckily we had a couch that parts of it reclined so that was nice. Andrew and vic took the guest bed and everyone else was in the living room

POV Carina:

It was about 2 in the morning and I lay awake thinking about all the possibilities of what it would feel like having another bambino in our family. Maya and Hope lay next to me sound asleep. My thoughts are just consuming me....