38. A Reversal, a Revolution and a Resolution

It is not known whether Arcadian laws will be sufficient to prevent harm from coming to our operation, for our calling is sacred. Of the various factions that have historically opposed one another, this can be said: mutual interest has prevented these adversaries from drawing us into their conflict. But how long will this remain the case? How long until one of the Focal-wielders considers the holding of our facility to be of strategic advantage? We pray to the Mother, pleading with her, yearning and hoping that we may never see such a day...

- Excerpt: A History of the Incept, Vardis of the Incept, 251 SSA

In a moment reminiscent of the aftermath of the first Trial, Renate Steenkamp awoke in a recliner in the clinical area of the deployment chamber. As before, medical staff were buzzing around her, the medics checking on her vital signs.

Her head was pounding. Within a half second of regaining consciousness, she longed to go straight back to sleep. Moaning softly, she tried to roll over, then realised there was no possible way - not with all of the monitors connected to her body.

'Hey,' one of the women said to her. 'You pulled through! Welcome back.'

'Really?' Renate mumbled. 'I don't feel very welcome.'

'You'll be fine,' the medic laughed. 'You're short on fluids - that's all.' She gently flicked the intravenous tube in her arm with her finger. 'We'll have that fixed up very soon.'

'But that means I have to lie here for a while,' she complained.

'Only an hour or so,' she said.

'An hour?'

'Yes, not long,' the woman said briskly. 'This is an express IV. It's new technology - very quick.'

'How long does it usually take?'

'24 hours. Trust me, you've got a much better deal than some. Dehydration can be a bitch.'

Renate exhaled. Forced relaxation was probably a good thing. She was dog-tired. And it wasn't as if she had any place to be.

'Do you know how I did?' she asked. 'In comparison with the others, I mean?'

The medic smiled. 'Yeah, but I'm not supposed to tell you.'

Renate grimaced.

'You whipped them,' she whispered.

'Excellent,' Renate smiled.

'We run a betting pool here - it helps pass the hours while we wait. You won me a bit of money this time, so I'm happy to be patching you up. Now - let me get you something to eat.'

Renate wasn't about to say no to that. And so, when CEO Hugo Bareilles entered the clinic, he found Renate stuffing her face with a toasted sandwich. It wasn't her finest moment, but she decided to embrace it. She wasn't going to be selected, so it wasn't as if she had anyone to impress.

'Ah, the good Dr Steenkamp,' Hugo said. He spoke with more warmth and enthusiasm than usual - slightly at odds with Renate's expectations. It was unusual that he had come to see her at all... and without an entourage.

'Hello,' Renate managed, her mouth full.

'Could you give us a moment?' Hugo said, addressing the medical staff.

The medic frowned. 'Can you keep an eye on these vitals?' she asked. 'She's at a tenuous stage with her fluids.'

'Certainly. Tell me what I need to do,' Hugo responded.

Renate's eyes nearly popped out of her head.

Hugo Bareilles - eager to be helpful?

The medic gave him a quick run-down on the readouts, and Hugo appeared to take a detailed interest.