Chapter Twenty-Three: Interrogation

"You ain't being' serious right now?" Steve asked with a straight face.

"Dead serious. I saw him an' that Shepard kid smooching each other at the lake!" exclaimed Two-bit.

Steve took a minute to think. "You sure it wasn't Angela? You know, your memories get kinda fucked when you're drunk. Especially you, Two-bit."

"But Steve, I wasn't drunk! I recognized Johnny the moment I saw him. I was gonna go over an' say hi, but that Curly kid leaned in. An' I was all confused, like surely Johnny's gonna push him away or somethin', but no! The boy kissed back! I swear, you gotta believe me. I saw it with my own two, sober eyes!"

Steve was sceptical. He looked around before leaning in and lowering his voice. "You sure?"

Two-bit leaned into Steve, lowering his voice as well. "Steve, I ain't ever been so sure in my life. Even if it wasn't Curly, it sure as hell was a boy, and that sure as hell was Johnny, and he sure as hell kissed back. Normal people don't do that, Steve! I'm tellin' ya, he's one of them queers!"

Steve was silent for a minute. He looked around the room in disbelief, almost as if Two-bit told him that Johnny died. But from the look on Steve's face, I would be willing to bet that he would've preferred that.

Steve scoffed. "I can't believe it. We've had a queer in the gang this whole time?"

"Honey, you've got a big storm coming," I thought, remembering that Steve didn't know about me or Dally yet.

Two-bit laughed a little. "Steve, it ain't like he's got a disease. He's just a little less than normal-"

"How do you know it ain't a diseases? Shit, what if I'm gonna catch it?" blurted Steve, cutting Two-bit off.

Two-bit sighed. "Snap out of it, will ya? It ain't contagious. You don't wanna kiss me, do ya?"

"No?"

"Well there you go. Anyways, it's still weird and shit. I ain't religious, but I still don't think it's too good of an idea if the kid stays in the gang. If he's gonna be smooching up the Shepard's gang, what kind of a reputation is that gonna put on us?"

"That ain't the only gang he's been smooching up," I thought.

"Yeah, I'm with you. An' I'm sure Soda an' Pony an' Dally are gonna say the same," said Steve.

"Oh yeah totally I'm with you on that, let me throw my ex under the bus for no reason," I thought, getting increasingly pissed off.

But to be honest, that wasn't the only thing that was pissing me off. Everything that I was learning just kept getting worse. I knew that Johnny and I weren't together anymore, but we had only been broken up for a week and he already found a replacement.  A cooler, tougher, sexier replacement.  Fucking Curly Shepard of all people.  Apparently spending a week running from the fuzz isn't enough to make someone spend at least more than a week single before moving on.

Not to mention, how in the world did Johnny end up with that guy?  I always thought that Curly was the straightest guy on the planet, but I digress.

Steve and Two-bit kept trash talking Johnny for a solid twenty minutes before I heard a knock on the door.  I stayed still in my hiding spot, wanting to make sure that I heard everything.  What else was Johnny doing while I moped around the house, trying to get over him?  Proposing to guys I don't know?  Having a plethora of one night stands, perhaps?

The door swung open and my eyes landed on the man I both loved and loathed: Johnathan Cade.  My heart was burning with a desire to have him back in my arms, but my brain wanted to strangle him.  I sat there with a blank look on my face as I waited for someone to say something.