Chapter Fifteen: Darry

I felt my stomach sink when I noticed that the man standing in my doorframe was Darry. Of all the people that I wanted to see, Darry wasn't one of them.

"Hey," I said before turning back around to my desk. I sketched as Darry spoke to me.

He entered my room, closed the door, and sat on me and Soda's bed. "Soda's gone out with Steve for the night."

"Yeah," I said, confused as to why Darry was in my room. "Did ya need anything?"

Darry scratched the back of his neck and looked up at me. "Well, Pone, I was jus' thinking, you seem stressed out about the rumble and everything. Ya don't needa go if you still need time to process everything."

I felt a lump grow in my throat.

"And, I know you mus' be a bit worried about Johnny...you two are good buddies..."

I couldn't take it anymore. It felt like I was living a lie. To Soda, to the gang, hell, even to Darry. The lump wasn't going away. In fact, it felt like it was growing larger. I felt my eyes well up with tears.

"We're not 'good buddies!'" I shouted suddenly.

"What do ya mean? Did something happen?" He asked. I knew his mind jumped to us not being friends, not us being more than friends.

"No, no, not like that!" Tears were streaming down my face.

"Well, what'd ya mean-"

"He's my boyfriend, alright? I'm gay, and he's my boyfriend!" My face was buried in my hands. I already regretted telling him. He was going to kick me out, and I'd need to live on the streets, and-

"Ponyboy," said Darry in a softer tone. He was now kneeling beside me. "Is this true?"

I knew I had a chance to take my words back. But, for some reason, I decided to tell him the truth. Slowly, I nodded my head and lowered my hands. Hot tears where still streaming down my face. I glanced over to my side where Darry was crouched down.

Darry was silent for a moment. Then, he said, "Pone...that's okay."

Those two words really sunk in for me. 'That's okay.' For that whole week, I wasn't exactly convinced that it was okay. I thought of it as something that was wrong with me. In fact, I'm not so sure that I fully accepted myself. Sure, I was happy that Johnny and I were finally together, but I still saw it as wrong. Being told that it was okay, by someone who I thought hated my guts for the longest while, made me feel better about myself. About everything.

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, alright? Now, some people might try an' tell ya different, but you listen to me. There's nothing wrong with you, there's nothing wrong with Johnny, and there's nothing wrong with the relationship that you two have." His voice was firm, yet caring. I wiped some of my tears off with the back of my hand before pulling Darry into a hug.

"Thank you," I said with my shaky voice. Words cannot describe how grateful I was. I knew it might not be like that with the rest of the gang, but at least Darry accepted me. My brother accepted me.

"Hey fellas..." came a voice from the doorway. "Whatcha doin'?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin. I pulled away from Darry. Darry did the same. I looked up to see non-other than Sodapop Curtis.