Chapter Ten: Acceptance

So there I was, cuddling into Johnny, also known as my new boyfriend.  I was as happy as one could be. The worst situation of my life had soon turned into the best. And man, you would not believe the weight that was lifted off my shoulders. Not just because I had gotten my man, but also because I got that off my chest. Admitting that I was gay. Accepting that I was gay. It felt good. It was relief, like I had broken the chains that I had locked myself into. It felt great.

I awoke the following morning to the golden sun lighting up the church. To my left, Johnny laid quietly, sleeping. Normally, he was the first one up. But that day was different. I cuddled in close to him, feeling his warmth. After a little while, I noticed him start to move around a bit, waking up.

"Mmm, good morning, Pony," he said in his rough morning voice, a voice which I hadn't heard up until that point. I liked it.

"Morning, Johnnycake," I said as I pulled him in for a quick kiss. "Is that your morning voice? It's really something else," I said, grinning.

I noticed Johnny beginning to turn red.  "A good something else or a bad something else?" he asked, beginning to panic.

"An amazing something else," I reassured him.  I kissed him again.

He relaxed a bit and smiled.  He wrapped his arms around my shivering body and pulled me in close to him. He had a beautiful smile. I loved it when he'd let one show. He was always nervous, but now he seemed different. Not completely different, but like I was seeing a different side of him. One that was always there, but hardly ever showed. I liked it.

I don't know how long we stayed there cuddling, with a scattered kiss every now and then. I didn't want it to end. I loved every second of it. And although Johnny didn't tell me, I could tell he didn't want it to end either. But we had to have breakfast eventually, so we slowly got up together.

We made our bologna sandwiches together that morning. We were both blushing a whole lot, but neither of us cared. We were as happy as two people could be. There wasn't a whole lot of talking, it was mainly just looking into each other's eyes, smiling, blushing, and a little bit of laughter here and there. It was amazing. I never thought in a million years that I'd have a boyfriend, let alone for that boyfriend to be Johnny. But there I was, my boyfriend across the table. My boyfriend.

After that long period of happy silence, Johnny spoke up. "Y-you know, if everything goes back to normal, I-I would like to take you on a date," he said nervously.

"Not if, when," I corrected him. "And I would love to!" I said happily. I got up, walked over to his side of the table and planted my lips on his. It felt really good.

When I pulled away and opened my eyes, I saw how surprised Johnny looked. His eyes were wide, his face was red and his mouth was slightly agape. All he said was a flustered "wow". I smiled. He smiled. Then he pulled me back and we kissed some more.

And that's what the next two or three days looked like. We were both on cloud nine.

That is, until one fateful day a few days later.

Me and Johnny were making out in one of the more open rooms in the church. We heard the loud roar of a vehicle coming from outside. We immediately stopped what we were doing. We looked outside and saw a school bus. Twenty or so kids started pouring out of it. A couple started running towards the church. I dropped the lit cigarette that had been in my hand, grabbed Johnny, and pulled him back into one of the back rooms. Moments later, multiple kids came in. We were in trouble.