Chapter Seven: Arrival In Windrixville

"Jump!" called Johnny.

Next thing I knew I was on the ground.

"W-where I'm I-" I was still half asleep. In fact, I don't even remember jumping off the train. Johnny started hauling me off the ground.

"We're in Windrixville, dummy." 

"Right.  We're in Windrixville.  Because of murder.  And we gotta find that church.  So we don't get caught.  For murder."

"Snap out of it, Pony!

"Sorry."

We went to go get settled in at the church.  But there was only one problem; We had no idea where we were going. 

After stumbling around for about three hours, we finally found it.  It was old.  And definitely abandoned.  We made our way inside and settled in.  This is it, I thought.  My home for the next four to five days.  At least I was with Johnny.  And he was still just as cute as ever.  Maybe this wasn't going to be as bad as I thought.

We were both exhausted by the time we got inside the building.   We found a sheltered corner and laid down to rest.  That would've been easy to do, but it was really cold.  I was shivering.  I felt Johnny reposition next to me, so I assumed he was just getting comfortable.  But then I felt his arms wrap around me.  He pulled me in closer.  Me back was facing him, so I rolled over so I could see him.  I felt my face burning up once more, but I didn't care.  I looked into his eyes and smiled.  He looked back at me and smiled too.  This time, I was one hundred percent certain that he was blushing.  I felt my heart pounding.  I wanted him to kiss me.  But we were both to tired to do anything else.  I leaned in and rested my head on his chest.

When I woke up, Johnny was nowhere to be seen.  The sun was rising.  I had slept for at least nineteen hours at that point.  Johnny had spelt in the dirt next to me "Be back soon".  I decided I'd get cleaned up as much as I could before he got back. 

Turns out trying to get clean without soap is, surprise, very difficult.  I rinsed some of the dirt off me, but I wasn't clean.  I was just less dirty.

About an hour later, Johnny came back with a box of supplies.

"Hey Pony? You here?"

I stumbled out from the room with the water pump.  I also not-so-gracefully tripped up and fell forward, falling by his feet.

"Hey Johnnycake."

"Jeez, you all right?"

"Perfect.  Just perfect.  What did y'a get?"

We walked into a room with a table and Johnny dropped his box of supplies down. 

"Bread, balonga, peanut butter, cards..."

"What's this?"  I asked, reaching for what looked like a book. 

"Gone With the Wind?  How'd you know I've always wanted this?" I asked, holding it in the light so I could get a better look at it.

"Oh, uh, I remember you sayn' once that you wanted to read it."  Johnny was turning red.  "You know, after we went to see that movie together?"

"Wow, you remembered that?  That was last year."

"I mean, yeah.  It was a pretty good movie.  And you seemed so into it."  Johnny was getting redder by the second.  "So, I dunno, I saw it at the shop and thought of you- er, thought you could read it out loud to pass the time."

I thought it was a good time to change the subject.  I reached in to the box and pulled out a small bottle.

"Peroxide?  What are we going to be doing with peroxide?  Wait a minute, you ain't thinking..."

"We're cutting our hair, Pony.  You're gonna bleach yours."

"No, no, no, no.  You ain't coming near me with any scissors or peroxide."

"Ah, shit.  I forgot to buy scissors."

"Welp, guess we won't be cutting our hair."

"Not so fast, Ponyboy Curtis.  I still got my switchblade." he said, pulling it out of his pocket and flipping it open.

I let out a sigh.  "Fine."