Chapter 13

"Ms. Fode. Uh can I speak to you?" The deep voice that spoke belonged to Officer Menna.

"Why? Is there a problem?" I question nervously.

"It's about the case. Can I come in?" He asks taking a step closer to me.

"No!" I rush. "I mean we can stay out here and talk." I finish closing the door behind me.

He gave me a confused look. "Okay, well the case, as I said before, has been classified as a hit and run. We can't seem to find who they are though. No one has seen that kind of car anywhere near here. That has led us to believe that it was someone from out of town and maybe even out of state."

"Why don't you just run a scan on their license plate?" I asked shaking my head.

"There was none. We think that maybe the person had removed them before running." He explained. "There were small spots of blood on the ground and trees so we're going to run tests on it but there's no guarantee we'll get a match."

"I know. Anything else?" I ask.

"I have a couple questions for you." He states.

"Okay, question away." I wave my shaky hand around.

"It would be better if we could go inside." He says slowly.

He can't go inside! What am I going to do? "We can't," I mumble.

"Why? What's going on?" he asks narrowing his eyes at me. He's getting suspicious.

"Nothing," I say breathing heavily. I'll just take him down to my room and make sure we're quiet so Jay can't hear us. He's not going to leave and he's getting extremely suspicious, I have no choice.

"I can't help if you don't tell me."
He eyes me.

"Follow me," I state. I walk around the house with him in tow and when I reach the doors to my room I open them and let him in.

"Why couldn't we go in the front?" He questioned as I pointed to the couch for him to set. He examines my room before sitting on the couch. I realized that I had left the blanket bunched up at the end of the couch on top of a pillow. He notices too, "Do you sleep down here?" He asked.

What should I say? "Uh, yeah," I nod.

"It's a little cold." He states his gaze remains on me.

"I can turn on the heater." I say, glancing at him.

"It's okay, let's get to the questions." He repositioned himself on the couch to face me as I sat in the chair. "Were you hurt in the accident?"

"Um, not really."

"You got a glass shard stuck in your leg correct?"

"Yes," I scratch the back of my neck.

"Your mom and the child she was carrying passed because of the accident." He clarified, but that was a statement not a question, I nodded. There was a loud bang up stairs causing me to jump and Officer Menna to put his hand on his holster. He walked over to me and put his hand on my back. "We should get out of here."

"Yeah," I said simply, darting for the door. The sooner we're out of here the better. The there was the sound of glass shattering and a groan.

"How do you get upstairs from here?" He asks a little louder than I would've liked. I looked at him pleadingly. He sighed and walked over to the door.

We walked up the hill and down the road. The entire walk was quiet and I kept my head down. Every once in a while Officer Menna would look back at where we had just passed. Once we got into town, we went up to the small diner. He ordered a coffee and I just got a water. "You knew someone was upstairs." he said to me, after smiling gratefully at the old woman who gave him his drink.