S2E11 ❂ Battlefield ❂

:•:•:•:

:•:•:•:

"And how are things between you and Scott?" Marin the guidance counselor asks me.

"He hasn't really talked to me since it all happened," I say. "There seems to be this sort of... tension... in the air between all of us."

"And what about you and Stiles?"

"He also doesn't really talk to anyone right now, including me. I'm really glad his dad got his job back, though. But the two of us are in a rough patch right now. I guess really all of us are."

"Do you feel sorry for Matt?"

I look down at my hands and shake my head. "No..." I look back up at her. "I know that makes me sound like a bad person, but it's hard to have sympathy for someone who tried to kill my friends and myself. Just because some assholes tried to drown him doesn't mean he can go around getting revenge and killing the innocent people that get in his way. He's a murderer. These people are my family. They're all I have. I know what it's like to have no one, not a single person who cares about you. I have always had this fear that everyone I know and love are going to leave me or die, and that fear just keeps growing. It's especially bad since I have lost everyone before. I know what it's like to lose everything. All I've ever done is lose people...." My fingers anxiously tap my thigh. "I can't lose them, too."

"Do you put them before yourself?"

I look into her warm brown eyes. "Always."

"But what about you?"

I start playing with this little loose string on the hem of my shirt. "What about me?" I twirl it around my finger.

"How are you coping with this? The tension, the drama, the fear? How are you doing?"

"My anxiety is through the roof. I feel like something bad is going to happen at any second. But it's not just a feeling, it's knowing that something bad could very well happen." She stays silent, wanting me to continue talking. "I also can't sleep well, but that's nothing new. I get nightmares that sometimes have me waking up crying, and I don't cry very often. If something was to happen to one of them, I'd completely break."

"Why do you feel like you have to be the tough one that saves everyone?"

"I guess it's just instinct. It's just who I am. Living on my own for so long was rough, and that's who I had to be to survive. I had to be tough and keep my head. I had to be emotionally and physically strong. I also feel like if something happened to one of them, it'd be my fault."

:•:•:•:

"Good morning! In less than an hour, aircraft from here will be joining others from around the world... and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind," Coach announces to the lacrosse team.